Door hinge screws corrosion resistance - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It's weird. The hinges seemed fine but some of the bolts the heads corroded and some the threads. I will wire wheel them but I think the coating is the issue if you scratch it they must corrode quickly. The coating seems to bubble.
Yes I am curious. If the bolt still has its original finish I would consider it a stain. The pin itself in the hinge is what bleeds the rust on the fateners and hinge. The part of the pin inside the center section that pivots in particular. A stainless hinge pin is the real solution IMO. And a stainless sleeve in the hinge center section. Grease zerk would be nice as well.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
FYI, I copied this whole thread over here as this is a more appropriate place and it will be easier for people to find it when looking.
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
FYI, I copied this whole thread over here as this is a more appropriate place and it will be easier for people to find it when looking.
I know you take your job seriously so make sure to lock the old thread.

Pendy,

I just completed a thorough metal exam on some new bolts and some old ones. On the new ones, I noticed the finish kinda sucks. It's just not clean or uniform.

As for the ones I have that have rust all over them, it is the bolts themselves that are rusting. The pins and hinges showed no sign of rust, at least not in a way where it would be on some heads and some threads like it is. Usually when the hinges bleed I am able to get the rust off quickly but you can tell this is the cause of the rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well there it is then. I was suprised to see the head of the bolt showing rust in your picture. The coating put to your bolts indeed does suck. I have had better luck with some of those style bolts, but it is hard to "guess" the difference, if any from what you were working with. So maybe my "luck" is shortlived.

I do understand what JL was trying to point out though. Many other European vehicles I work on have a similar coating put to all the suspension bolts nowadays. And the coating holds up underneath vehicles where the greatest chance for rust is. Must just be a LR short straw in this application.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I agree. It's weird because not every bolt rusted the same way or in the same spot. I talked to a few others with these bolts and they had the same issues. Oh well. The stainless bolts with factory heads in the link I provided look nice and factory and don't have the same issue.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps there are different suppliers of the bolts involved? This could confuse the issue. It is very easy for a manufacturer to make a plating that will last forever, but for some reason this is becoming less common to see over the years.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Mine are genuine but that doesn't mean different anything since rover uses many suppliers
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Trust me these bolts do rust! In Europe all the puma have these new bolts. They feel very light, almost like kind of aluminum. And i know guy's that bought a brand new 2011 puma and the bolts are rusting! not a lot but it looks cheap on a new car. Most of them are changing them to ss as well. I do like the puma hinges!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door