Door hinge screws corrosion resistance - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Barry,
Why do you need all those bolts for a D90-ST?

hmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:54 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by california View Post
Barry,
Why do you need all those bolts for a D90-ST?

hmmmm
Uh, he had a NAS 110 for years before he sold it?

And last I checked a NAS ST also has doors (and hence hinges and bolts).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2012, 01:01 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Uh, he had a NAS 110 for years before he sold it?

And last I checked a NAS ST also has doors (and hence hinges and bolts).
Thanks. Thought they were bolts from his Hummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 01:05 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have every old bolt from my 90 and for some reason my gone 110. I bought td5 hinges for my nas 110 from safari rover. He included all the bolts. They turned to crap instantly. I then bought new genuine ones from rn and the same thing happened again within a month. I then went stainless.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Ban Barry!!
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You would be doing me a favor. I might actually go outside and get some sun if I couldn't be a metallurgist troll on here.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

Do you have a link for the stainless ones? Thanks
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-...#ht_1992wt_905
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got mine here:
http://a2stainless.co.uk/Defender-Series-3_B22EP.aspx
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I got a couple PMs asking about bolts and hinges.

If you want bolts that look factory this is your only choice:
http://nakatanenga-tours.de/shop/cat...aram=cid%3D%26

As for hinges the td5 hinges are a huge improvement over the stuff that came on the NAS trucks and easy enough to get. I think Safari Rover sells take off hinges. I am curious about the ECR/Cryotec ones but they might be super expensive.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
But this illustrates what I think is a "flaw" to posting classifieds.
I think it would be preferred with something like this to start a new thread in the technical area with a link in the classified thread to that new thread.

This allows the classified thread to stay on the topic of selling the item while provided a place to discuss the pros and cons of parts in question. It also makes it easier for someone looking for information on that technical subject to find it in the future,
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
A picture is worth a 1000 words.
I want to point something out. Some bolts rust. And some bolts are stained with rust from the shitty old style hinges. The newer Td5 style bolts are corrossion resistant and go through a process which JL hints at. But if they are immersed in rust from the hinge they will stain. And the coating can break down like we see on the older Defenders that have galvanized trim that is starting to give way.

So the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two opinions I see here.

I know this because, well, I am Pendy. And I do not need to make derogatory religious or other inflammatory references to make my point. "Gong show drum roll" Ba dum Bump

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I know this because, well, I am Pendy. And I do not need to make derogatory religious or other inflammatory references to make my point. "Gong show drum roll" Ba dum Bump
Pendy, I think you should update your signature with the above quote!
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Pendy, I think you should update your signature with the above quote!

I will try it for a while Tom. Doesn't really roll off the tongue, but the drum was fun.

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I thought this thread was going to die and decided not to reply - but since it has not..

Quote:
This board really has become a place for babies to cry. Waaaa Waaaa.
If you think I am crying in this post then you are a fool.

Quote:
... They are factory bolts that literally rust when you talk about getting them wet.
I felt this statement/opinion was over exaggerated, not at all helpful and is what annoyed me.
Thread drifts seems to happen far too often.

The fact that you pointed out the screws were not glavy was very much appreciated but could have stoped there.

Due to you posting your opinion of these screws there have been a few different opinions on these screws - which in reality did bring the thread off topic.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest about this and for the record I changed all my hinge screws to SS too.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I want to point something out. Some bolts rust. And some bolts are stained with rust from the shitty old style hinges. The newer Td5 style bolts are corrossion resistant and go through a process which JL hints at. But if they are immersed in rust from the hinge they will stain. And the coating can break down like we see on the older Defenders that have galvanized trim that is starting to give way.

So the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two opinions I see here.

I actually have only used them with td5 hinges that were painted quite well and the picture was the result.

As for shitting on for sale threads, I never shit on prices or items. I try to stick to it as a rule and it was the problem I had with Dan. In this case I saw no harm in what I wrote. You listed the bolts as an extra that you weren't sure about. I stated you were wrong about the material, I pointed out they were factory parts and they rust. No one coming to buy your hinges looked at what I wrote and decided not to buy. Its a site for enthusiasts. If you're worried about it harming a sale go throw them on ebay or craigslist where your ad is locked.

The fact that people jumped all over the fact that I was shitting on your sale is pathetic. They were garbage bolts coming from a seller who didn't know what he had.

In the future you should PM me before you sell so I can help you write your ads.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
I actually have only used them with td5 hinges that were painted quite well and the picture was the result.

I stand corrected. No more drum. Do you think the bolts were stained from the hinge pin. Or did the bolts themselves rust? Does the rust come off with a wire wheel to expose the original finish of the bolt?

I still think this is becoming an informative post. You comments and pictures have value bjf.

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It's weird. The hinges seemed fine but some of the bolts the heads corroded and some the threads. I will wire wheel them but I think the coating is the issue if you scratch it they must corrode quickly. The coating seems to bubble.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
As I understand it, the original hinges are not hot dip galvanized. They are zinc plated, which judging from the color is a bright zinc electroplate. Maybe a tenth of a mil in thickness. Provides some protection, but hardly enough to be galvanically protective.

Not sure about the TD5 hinges, but I have a feeling the protective coating is significantly thicker than the old hinges.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

TD5 Door Hinges

Hey my comment is on point with the thread. Damn you girls and your catfight. I missed out on some TD5 hinges. Anyone else have any with or with out screws that may or may not potentially rust.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door