Door Hinge Nut - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Jeff 95/126
Jeff Grill
1995 D90 126/500
Door Hinge Nut

I have repalced 3 of the 4 D90 hinges (1995) w/ very nice aluminum ones from Motosport.
The problem: The bottom bolt (passenger side bottom hinge) is frozen and I think I have broken the threaded back/bolt from the frame. The bolt moves freely, about 20 dgrees. I used an impact driver and it slipped from loosen to tighten. Any ideas on how to get the screw out and then how to secure or install a threaded nut to repace the original?

Old January 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Jon Strong
If it is broke, you have a few options.

You can drill out the old bolt. Start with a small bit in the center, then work your way up with larger diameter bits until almost all of the bolt is gone, then you can tap the hole using the proper size tap dia and thread/in.

Could also try an "ez-out" designed to bite into whats left of the bolt and break it loose.

Get a can of PB blaster pentrating lube and soak it good, let is set a few hours and try to get it loose with a wrench, I'd stay away from the impact gun, get a 1/2 drive socket wrench and try to break it loose with the extra leverage.

Old January 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM
1962 Series II
I used the information on this page with success:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions