Door hinge issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Door hinge issues

Got a used set of door hinges to try and retro-fit to allow me to pull the doors off whenever I want. Problem is I can't get the stupid pin out of the hinge to drill and drop a new one in. I've pressed it with a 1.5 ton press, tried to drill it, beat the crap out of it...etc. Nothing, not even a dent. I've determined they are a two part pin, but I can't figure it out.
Anyone out there tried this and figured it out? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

jesse-and anyone else interested-i just removed the pins from my hinges this weekend.i have tried a few times before with no luck.some info on the pin -its a straight 2 1/2 inch long pin.the top half inch is about 7.5 mm round with some ribs around it, the bottom 2 inches are 7mm round.now how i removed the pin-frist the hinge has to be off the truck and off the door because i had to beat the sh-t out of them(trust me you will have to repaint if somethings not in your plans like galvanizing)so you have just the hinge,place it on concrete floor-i had a 1/8 inch thin rubber peice on the floor that did not last very long -use some kind of hard plastic that can take a beating(this is to kind of save the metal of the hinge from getting marked from the concrete)look at the hinge-find the smaller end of the pin(7mm round end the bigger end with the ribs is the top)i placed the hinges standing on end so the smaller end of the pin was facing up and the bigger end of the pin was afcing the concrete.sprayed wd40 in the small end pin holes and let it sit over night(did this help?i dont think so but im not sure)now what i used to beat the pins out of the hinge.it was a round chiesel about 6 inches long and about 9/16 round and the bottom inch of it tappered about 1/4 inch round.-what i did was grind the bottom inch so that the whole bottom inch was 1/4 round(so you could drive an inch of the chiesle in to the hinge nocking the pin out about an inch)i had the hing sitting on the rubber on the concrete holding the hinge and chiesel steady with one hand and i used a 5 pound hammer in the other.honestly i had to hit it probably 5-6 time as hard as i could before the pin would budge.i am guessing it might have taken me 20 smacks to get that sucker out.let me know if you have any questions
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:20 AM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

sounds like a bench vise and center punch are the way to go, you can use the rubber on the vise jaws to help reduce the chance of marking the paint up too bad.

JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

as hard as you have to pound the pin i dont think a vise will hold
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:00 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I can confirm the vise will not hold.
I finally cut the pin in half and figured out the pounding part, but I still can't get the ribbed part out.
I had a machinist tell me a 1/4" carbide end mill will mill the rib free then it's easy to pound it out. I think I'm just going to dremel it with a diamond tip.

Thanks for the help Matt, I'll proceed to finding something to beat the ever living crap out of it with.

In Addition: I bent all my chisels on this thing already.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door