Door Handle Pocket - RUST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Door Handle Pocket - RUST

Hey - I have some rust in the bottom of my door handles. I have looked at past threads - this problem seems common - I did not see any answers.

I think this would not be hapening with out the water that sits there after washing the car (I dry it then), or after the rain. The problem is that there is a LIP on the ouside (door surface) of the pocket that holds this water in until it evaporates..........

Does any one make some sort of plastic insert that would slope toward, and go over this lip? This way the water could run out of the pocket after it rained.........

Just curious if anyone has done anything..........Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

[QUOTE=

Does any one make some sort of plastic insert that would slope toward, and go over this lip? This way the water could run out of the pocket after it rained.........

Just curious if anyone has done anything..........Flagg[/QUOTE]

I think you should "Architect" that and get Len, ECR or Buck make it...

Put me down for a set or two.

Old July 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I treated both pockets with ospho (rust inhibitor) and then painted with black rustoleum paint. It looks good. Didn't solve the problem of water collecting, but looks much better and the rust has been halted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

It would seem that the obvious solution is to drill one or two drain holes. There isn't much on the inside of the door and the water would just drain out the bottom. I've thought about doing this. Is there an argument against it?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Where out the bottom?
It's been a while since I had my ST door panels off, so I can't recall for certain, but if you drilled the handle box wouldn't the water natuarally escape between the bottom of the door panel and door in to the inside of the truck?
Seems like one more opportunity for rust to take hold.......
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
How about removable silicone caulk or some sort of rubber piece that could be fitted on an incline?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Installed new door handles and new hinges. Sandblasted and painted remaining parts. Drilled hole. Made new interior panels out of diamond plate and painted. The old parts are rusting again and will powdercoat them this time around. Thinking of making a new trim piece for the interior above light out of aluminum if anyone is interested.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I think the anwer is not letting the water pour through the door, but rather to slope it outward above that little lip. If there was a plastic insert, or rubber might be better, that you could caulk around to keep water from getting under it, that would slope the water toward the outside, that would be the ticket.

I have no idea how your could form this piece. I like Scotts comment that I should "Architect it", but I don't even know where to start.

Is there any kit you can just buy, where you just pour the liquid rubber in there and then let it dry? I do not even know what I am describing.

I just know that if we could get water to slope outward, above the lip, all problems would be sloved.

It is kind of rediculous that Land Rover put that lip there in the first place - or at least did not leave the middle of the lip open to drain.............

Flagg
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
I think the anwer is not letting the water pour through the door, but rather to slope it outward above that little lip. If there was a plastic insert, or rubber might be better, that you could caulk around to keep water from getting under it, that would slope the water toward the outside, that would be the ticket.

I have no idea how your could form this piece. I like Scotts comment that I should "Architect it", but I don't even know where to start.

Is there any kit you can just buy, where you just pour the liquid rubber in there and then let it dry? I do not even know what I am describing.

I just know that if we could get water to slope outward, above the lip, all problems would be sloved.

It is kind of rediculous that Land Rover put that lip there in the first place - or at least did not leave the middle of the lip open to drain.............

Flagg
I'd be afraid no matter what you put in there, water would get behind it, get trapped, and never dry out, accelerating corrosion issues even more. Since the "pocket" is there, the most logical solution is to find a way to get the water out, since it is not practical with the current design to prevent water from getting in there (IMHO). A drain would probably be best, but adding a rubber drain line that would allow you to direct the drainage to a specific place would probably work better than just letting it drain inside the door, which I would think would only accelerate other corrosion issues.. Disassembling the area, blasting the parts and powder coating, or using POR15 or some other durable barrier coat would also be a helpful step, I would think. My two cents. And it probably isn't even worth that much, huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
I'd be afraid no matter what you put in there, water would get behind it, get trapped, and never dry out, accelerating corrosion issues even more. Since the "pocket" is there, the most logical solution is to find a way to get the water out, since it is not practical with the current design to prevent water from getting in there (IMHO). A drain would probably be best, but adding a rubber drain line that would allow you to direct the drainage to a specific place would probably work better than just letting it drain inside the door, which I would think would only accelerate other corrosion issues.. Disassembling the area, blasting the parts and powder coating, or using POR15 or some other durable barrier coat would also be a helpful step, I would think. My two cents. And it probably isn't even worth that much, huh?
i'm planning on sand blasting and por15'ing it to death, water will still site but won't be able to do anything until it evaporates.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

[QUOTE=huck1974]will powdercoat them this time around. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this isn't possible without removing the doorskin from the frame. Powdercoating is baked on and aluminum and steel expand at different rates -- the doors will buckle if the skin is on the frame.

Go with por-15.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

[QUOTE=Abrooks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
will powdercoat them this time around. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this isn't possible without removing the doorskin from the frame. Powdercoating is baked on and aluminum and steel expand at different rates -- the doors will buckle if the skin is on the frame.

Go with por-15.
not the doors themselves but the hardware for the door handles. I may just cut em up and remake the whole thing out of aluminum. It wouldn't be that hard...As soon as I finish the new vette project. Its crazy hot here and have been spending down time in the pool rather then the shop.
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Shave the handles off...put some remote door poppers in. <j/k> Sorry - had too...it's been one of those days!
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Where out the bottom?
It's been a while since I had my ST door panels off, so I can't recall for certain, but if you drilled the handle box wouldn't the water natuarally escape between the bottom of the door panel and door in to the inside of the truck?
Seems like one more opportunity for rust to take hold.......
I have a ST and water already gets in the door, especially if the door tops aren't installed, due to the door top stud channels. The last time I had my door panels off I noticed some rust but it wasn't significant (yet).

Those door latch pockets are a really dumb design....
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Rust in the door pockets

Has anyone just painted POR-15 on the inner surface of the pocket. I have a 94 that I am winterizing for monsoon season here in Portland. I have a little crust of rust on driver's side and I need to get on it before it spreads. Any solutions would be appreciated. I'll snap some photos and would love to see pics of anyone's solution.

Thanks!

Alex
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Alex,

This what I was planning on doing last weekend, but wasted a good part of the day installing my NAS step bumper after POR-15 and topcoat.

I will tackle this project this weekend and post results, I was going to remove the door handles and refinish them and POR-15 the pockets.
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Can't wait to see what you do. I took a closer look at my issue. I looks like it going to be hard to mask everything.
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I got it completed yesterday, "ThanksGiving Day", while my wife and daughter were cooking ....

I removed door handles and sanded them down to bare metal, then painted with silver rustoleum paint (2 coats)

Cleaned and sanded pocket area and applied 2 coats of POR-15 paint, then top coated and clear afterwards.

It looks very good and I'm happy with the results.

The rest of the door is okay but not up to my standards, but okay for now. I did get a surprize when I pulled the door cards off and found rust I did not even know existed.

My next step is installing new style door hinges this weekend.

I will be buying a new set of doors in the future and this will be my game plan:

POR-15 the complete door inside, seam seal everything including the outside door handle pocket arear + POR-15 afterwards. Topcoat and clear.

Follow-up Post:

Forgot the new door hinge pick...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHandle1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	16621   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHandle2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	16622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHinge2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	16623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHinge1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	16624  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door