Door Handle Pocket - RUST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Flagg's Avatar
Flagg
Status: Offline
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbia, MD 21046
Posts: 738
Door Handle Pocket - RUST

Hey - I have some rust in the bottom of my door handles. I have looked at past threads - this problem seems common - I did not see any answers.

I think this would not be hapening with out the water that sits there after washing the car (I dry it then), or after the rain. The problem is that there is a LIP on the ouside (door surface) of the pocket that holds this water in until it evaporates..........

Does any one make some sort of plastic insert that would slope toward, and go over this lip? This way the water could run out of the pocket after it rained.........

Just curious if anyone has done anything..........Flagg
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
[QUOTE=

Does any one make some sort of plastic insert that would slope toward, and go over this lip? This way the water could run out of the pocket after it rained.........

Just curious if anyone has done anything..........Flagg[/QUOTE]

I think you should "Architect" that and get Len, ECR or Buck make it...

Put me down for a set or two.
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Caribsurf's Avatar
Caribsurf
Status: Offline
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL/ Bequia, St.Vincent & Grenadines
Posts: 221
I treated both pockets with ospho (rust inhibitor) and then painted with black rustoleum paint. It looks good. Didn't solve the problem of water collecting, but looks much better and the rust has been halted
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
jimngo's Avatar
jimngo
Status: Offline
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 118
It would seem that the obvious solution is to drill one or two drain holes. There isn't much on the inside of the door and the water would just drain out the bottom. I've thought about doing this. Is there an argument against it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Where out the bottom?
It's been a while since I had my ST door panels off, so I can't recall for certain, but if you drilled the handle box wouldn't the water natuarally escape between the bottom of the door panel and door in to the inside of the truck?
Seems like one more opportunity for rust to take hold.......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
themaxx's Avatar
themaxx
Status: Offline
Ade
94 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,835
Registry
How about removable silicone caulk or some sort of rubber piece that could be fitted on an incline?
__________________
"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
huck1974's Avatar
huck1974
Status: Offline
shane cates
94 d90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 890
Installed new door handles and new hinges. Sandblasted and painted remaining parts. Drilled hole. Made new interior panels out of diamond plate and painted. The old parts are rusting again and will powdercoat them this time around. Thinking of making a new trim piece for the interior above light out of aluminum if anyone is interested.












Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Flagg's Avatar
Flagg
Status: Offline
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbia, MD 21046
Posts: 738
I think the anwer is not letting the water pour through the door, but rather to slope it outward above that little lip. If there was a plastic insert, or rubber might be better, that you could caulk around to keep water from getting under it, that would slope the water toward the outside, that would be the ticket.

I have no idea how your could form this piece. I like Scotts comment that I should "Architect it", but I don't even know where to start.

Is there any kit you can just buy, where you just pour the liquid rubber in there and then let it dry? I do not even know what I am describing.

I just know that if we could get water to slope outward, above the lip, all problems would be sloved.

It is kind of rediculous that Land Rover put that lip there in the first place - or at least did not leave the middle of the lip open to drain.............

Flagg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
I think the anwer is not letting the water pour through the door, but rather to slope it outward above that little lip. If there was a plastic insert, or rubber might be better, that you could caulk around to keep water from getting under it, that would slope the water toward the outside, that would be the ticket.

I have no idea how your could form this piece. I like Scotts comment that I should "Architect it", but I don't even know where to start.

Is there any kit you can just buy, where you just pour the liquid rubber in there and then let it dry? I do not even know what I am describing.

I just know that if we could get water to slope outward, above the lip, all problems would be sloved.

It is kind of rediculous that Land Rover put that lip there in the first place - or at least did not leave the middle of the lip open to drain.............

Flagg
I'd be afraid no matter what you put in there, water would get behind it, get trapped, and never dry out, accelerating corrosion issues even more. Since the "pocket" is there, the most logical solution is to find a way to get the water out, since it is not practical with the current design to prevent water from getting in there (IMHO). A drain would probably be best, but adding a rubber drain line that would allow you to direct the drainage to a specific place would probably work better than just letting it drain inside the door, which I would think would only accelerate other corrosion issues.. Disassembling the area, blasting the parts and powder coating, or using POR15 or some other durable barrier coat would also be a helpful step, I would think. My two cents. And it probably isn't even worth that much, huh?
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
tkavan01's Avatar
tkavan01
Status: Offline
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minden, NV
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
I'd be afraid no matter what you put in there, water would get behind it, get trapped, and never dry out, accelerating corrosion issues even more. Since the "pocket" is there, the most logical solution is to find a way to get the water out, since it is not practical with the current design to prevent water from getting in there (IMHO). A drain would probably be best, but adding a rubber drain line that would allow you to direct the drainage to a specific place would probably work better than just letting it drain inside the door, which I would think would only accelerate other corrosion issues.. Disassembling the area, blasting the parts and powder coating, or using POR15 or some other durable barrier coat would also be a helpful step, I would think. My two cents. And it probably isn't even worth that much, huh?
i'm planning on sand blasting and por15'ing it to death, water will still site but won't be able to do anything until it evaporates.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Abrooks's Avatar
Abrooks
Status: Offline
Tony Brooks
.
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,926
[QUOTE=huck1974]will powdercoat them this time around. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this isn't possible without removing the doorskin from the frame. Powdercoating is baked on and aluminum and steel expand at different rates -- the doors will buckle if the skin is on the frame.

Go with por-15.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
huck1974's Avatar
huck1974
Status: Offline
shane cates
94 d90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 890
[QUOTE=Abrooks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
will powdercoat them this time around. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this isn't possible without removing the doorskin from the frame. Powdercoating is baked on and aluminum and steel expand at different rates -- the doors will buckle if the skin is on the frame.

Go with por-15.
not the doors themselves but the hardware for the door handles. I may just cut em up and remake the whole thing out of aluminum. It wouldn't be that hard...As soon as I finish the new vette project. Its crazy hot here and have been spending down time in the pool rather then the shop.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Chaucer
Status: Offline
Will
93 110 | 97 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 583
Shave the handles off...put some remote door poppers in. <j/k> Sorry - had too...it's been one of those days!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
jimngo's Avatar
jimngo
Status: Offline
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Where out the bottom?
It's been a while since I had my ST door panels off, so I can't recall for certain, but if you drilled the handle box wouldn't the water natuarally escape between the bottom of the door panel and door in to the inside of the truck?
Seems like one more opportunity for rust to take hold.......
I have a ST and water already gets in the door, especially if the door tops aren't installed, due to the door top stud channels. The last time I had my door panels off I noticed some rust but it wasn't significant (yet).

Those door latch pockets are a really dumb design....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
floyd650's Avatar
floyd650
Status: Offline
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 138
Rust in the door pockets

Has anyone just painted POR-15 on the inner surface of the pocket. I have a 94 that I am winterizing for monsoon season here in Portland. I have a little crust of rust on driver's side and I need to get on it before it spreads. Any solutions would be appreciated. I'll snap some photos and would love to see pics of anyone's solution.

Thanks!

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
FlaD90's Avatar
FlaD90
Status: Offline
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl, USA
Posts: 525
Alex,

This what I was planning on doing last weekend, but wasted a good part of the day installing my NAS step bumper after POR-15 and topcoat.

I will tackle this project this weekend and post results, I was going to remove the door handles and refinish them and POR-15 the pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
floyd650's Avatar
floyd650
Status: Offline
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 138
Can't wait to see what you do. I took a closer look at my issue. I looks like it going to be hard to mask everything.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
FlaD90's Avatar
FlaD90
Status: Offline
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl, USA
Posts: 525
I got it completed yesterday, "ThanksGiving Day", while my wife and daughter were cooking ....

I removed door handles and sanded them down to bare metal, then painted with silver rustoleum paint (2 coats)

Cleaned and sanded pocket area and applied 2 coats of POR-15 paint, then top coated and clear afterwards.

It looks very good and I'm happy with the results.

The rest of the door is okay but not up to my standards, but okay for now. I did get a surprize when I pulled the door cards off and found rust I did not even know existed.

My next step is installing new style door hinges this weekend.


I will be buying a new set of doors in the future and this will be my game plan:

POR-15 the complete door inside, seam seal everything including the outside door handle pocket arear + POR-15 afterwards. Topcoat and clear.

Follow-up Post:

Forgot the new door hinge pick...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHandle1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	16621   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHandle2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	16622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHinge2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	16623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorHinge1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	16624  

Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rust Management loykd Defender Technical Discussions 44 February 5th, 2010 11:00 PM
Rust, damn rust, and rust jaherring Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 2nd, 2004 07:27 PM
fix for rust on rear crossmember/bumper d90_1372 Defender Technical Discussions 2 August 6th, 2004 08:38 AM
Rust? mlw911 Defender Technical Discussions 6 May 24th, 2004 03:48 PM
rust on body found - Advise on removal paulb Defender Technical Discussions 1 November 27th, 2003 09:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Copyright