Door glass question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Door glass question

I bought new-style front doors for the 110, and it turns out that the window-lifts are different between old and new-style doors. I need to re-use my old glass since NAS 110's have tinted windows.

Anyway, the old style lifts have a pressed-on window track, and the new windows have a couple lugs glued to the bottom of the glass. The glass appears to be the same shape 4mm glass, and I'm sure I can get the channel off the old glass with gentle tapping but I don't know what, if anything, will dissolve the adhesive to get the lugs off the new glass - does anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

by lugs do you mean the holders at the bottom of the glass?

I had to break them to get mine out.

Follow-up Post:

do you have clear glass you dont want... If so I may want
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I agreed to sell my clear glass and old door guts, but it looks like I now have to take all the windows to a glass shop and see if they can swap the bits unless I can find the appropriate adhesive solvent etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
solvent for butyl? think maybe you can get your hands on some army spec benzin?
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I was hoping for some thing legal.

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The little lugs are like $4 at the dealer. P/N STC 4787. Use some "right stuff" to glue the lugs onto the old glass. As for getting the old style tracks off the old glass without damage I am not sure, a sharp pointy device maybe...

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I heart you Keith.

Follow-up Post:

Since I can buy new ones, I'll just cut the old ones off. They're made of nylon.

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

If you have any problems with the local dealer check out John Prochaska on this board, I'm sure he'll help you out..

XOXOXO

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

JIm I dont mind tinted glass!

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would use windscreen mirror adhesive not right stuff, but I am not sure I am thinking about the same thing.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Heat should take care of the adhesive. Heat gun, not blow torch Most adhesives lose it at around 400 degrees. Heat, then gentle tap tap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, glass