Door Card Compatibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Door Card Compatibility

My 110 has the roll-up window doors with the exterior lift-up door handles. My door cards are in rough shape and I'm interested in replacing them. Door cards for this kind of door are hard to find in good shape and for both front and second row.

Does anyone know if the later SW door cards are compatible with the older doors that I have? I know the door lock knobs are different between the two, and the interior door handle looks slightly smaller, but I'm wondering if you change those parts it would work. Has anyone tried this?

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I only know this information for the front door. I know nothing about the second row doors.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the later SW door cards are compatible with the older doors that I have?
With some modification. But not exactly.

Quote:
I know the door lock knobs are different between the two, and the interior door handle looks slightly smaller,
The door lock knobs and interior door handles are not the issue. You can can change over to the later escutcheon system with a custom push/pull rod. The interior door handles pretty much fit without much issue.

Quote:
but I'm wondering if you change those parts it would work. Has anyone tried this?
I am doing this now. The real issue is the fact that the actual frame of the door differs between the old and new doors. Where this difference occurs is the side of the door that holds the latch. The new style doors "hump out" while the old style doors are much smaller. This results in the new style door card leaving a gap when attached to the old style door.

Filling that gap is really the only thing you have to worry about.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Thanks for the info, Ed. If my biggest concern is filling the gap between the door card and the frame, then I'll just fit the newer style cards to my doors. Do you have any pics of said gap?

- Jon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door