door bottom rust repair/reskin? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

door bottom rust repair/reskin?

So here's the deal I'm going to repair the rustat the botto of the door, I have new rails ( i think thats what they are calleld) what should I use to re-glue them to the skin of the door? or can i pop rivit it to the door or should I rivit and glue? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I've reskinned several doors. You should be able to peel the aluminum skin back enough (without kinking it) to cut out the bad piece of frame and weld in the new. Then rebend the skin back over the new rail. No rivets or glue required.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Im interested in doing this as well to a door i have, I talked to a local guy up here that says he uses a torch to anneal the alloy so it will bend easy. I havent tried it but am planning to sometime in the near future. I am interested to here what you find out and how it goes.

Cheers Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

I have done this repair several times over the years and if you want to take it one more step you can hot dipped the door frames once repaired. It gets rid of the rust issue forever. I would suggest you remove the skins completely before you cut , weld and repair the door frame. I have seen people destroy the outer skin while trying to repair the frame and have to replace that as well You can remove the skin with a small pry bar. You will also need to drill out a few pop rivets. They are a 3/16 blind aluminum pop rivet with an aluminum mandrel and are available at McMaster Carr. Seaming pliers do a good job of straightening out the lip. You don't need to glue the skin to the frame but I like to use little brush-able seam sealer to attach the frame to the skin. IMO it keeps the door from rattling. To re-install the skin, Use a small block of oak and a rubber mallet. Lay the door on a solid table or bench and use the mallet and wood block to bend over the lip. Pretty straight forward and easy repair. You will damage the paint. It's impossible not to but if you are careful you can limit it to the edge.

While you have the door card off, you may want to consider installing a piece of Dynamat or McMaster Carr insulation matting to the inside of the the door skin. It will really quiet the truck down.

All the best with the repair.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

Thanks for the info I'll keep ya posted on the results I'll be doing this slowly inbetween life

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door