Door Bottom Repair Channels - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
?

I'm confuzzled by those pics, those don't look anything like my door bottoms. Mine are 3 piece design and the ones above look to be 2 pieces.

Here's a pic of mine and the copy I made - looks like mine have an extra lip.

They are pretty easy to bend up, so if there is a market I can make up a batch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	31577  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 07:11 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDef View Post
Excuse my ignorance please but I don't recognize the 'AB' to whom some have referred. I gather that whomever AB is they supply parts and right now I'm in need of a number of items.
AB is Atlantic British. I just ordered a pair last night out of desperation. I'll let you guys know if it will work or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

AB= Atlantic British http://www.roverparts.com/

------ Follow up post added September 27th, 2010 08:26 AM ------

Has anyone ever shot a video on the proper way to unskin and reskin door panels ? I have to do this on some Rovers and my 1961 MGA also and would love to see it done before I attempt it .
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2010, 09:18 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Forrest,
I used the AB channels to replace my 83 110 CSW front and middle door bottom channels...worked fine...
George
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase View Post
Forrest,
I used the AB channels to replace my 83 110 CSW front and middle door bottom channels...worked fine...
George
Thanks George for the info! Should be here in a few days.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Take a look at what you have and compare to this. Series on the right, defender on the left. The thickness of the material may be representative of series v defender, or it may be due to different manufacturers of the repair channels.
Yup just got mine in and it's the one on the right. Same profile as my older-style split doors.

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Yup just got mine in and it's the one on the right. Same profile as my older-style split doors.
Good, glad you got the right ones. Wolfs version is a bit of a mystery, never seen a LR (Series, 90 or 110) door channel profile other than one of the two posted earlier.
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So I started working on the door repair. It was pretty easy peeling the skin off the frame. My concern is the area where the hinge bolts to and the door retaining mechanism. Can anyone with experience tell me how you dealt with that area? Did you just cut it off and drilled new holes for the door hinge? It looks like there is a tube in each hole to prevent the channel from getting crushed when you bolt up the door. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	31868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	31869  

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	31870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	31871  

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	31872  

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Bumpity-bump Anyone? I can't seem to remove the door retainer without removing atleast one door hole/tube.

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I had a buddy of mine do the welding on my doors this past summer. We had to build a template/jig that would center each of the holes. This was to ensure the proper spacing and perpendicular orientation for the new hinge bolt tubes that were welded into the new door frames. Another challenge was to replicate the reinforcing plate on the skin side of the frame to which the tubes were welded. This plate had to be recessed into the flat of the door frame. HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Bumpity-bump Anyone? I can't seem to remove the door retainer without removing atleast one door hole/tube.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
....We had to build a template/jig that would center each of the holes. This was to ensure the proper spacing and perpendicular orientation for the new hinge bolt tubes that were welded into the new door frames. Another challenge was to replicate the reinforcing plate on the skin side of the frame to which the tubes were welded. This plate had to be recessed into the flat of the door frame. HTH.
Shit.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Cut the old plate and tube out, clean it up, and install it in the new channel.
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Cut the old plate and tube out, clean it up, and install it in the new channel.

I wish mine had been salvageable. Placement is still important, IMO its worth the time to build a jig.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
channel, door