Door alignment, adjustment question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:08 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Door alignment, adjustment question

Out of the four doors on my 110 only one looks like it lines up properly. The tops on a couple of them stick out like they were pried open at some point. On another the top is not level meaning the rear of the door is lower by about a half inch than the front. The way the panels don't line up bother me but it also creates a gap at he top where water and air can come in and it is loud. Is there way to adjust the doors by loosening the hinge bolts or is it a bulkhead shim/spacer issue? Just leveling them out would make a big difference. I could always try to bend the tops back inward but am looking for some advice before I go monkeying around with this problem.

Thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Make sure the bulkhead is square with the back body. Equal length both side and up you go. Even when it's square you'll have to compromise on alignment. Check your doors too, they might be different size (aftermarket or original Rover?).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wondering if there is twist type damage to the body causing it to go out of alignment

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

So there is no wiggle room with the hinges? As far as it being wracked the driver side front door sticks out on the top as does the passenger side second row door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4038464196.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	54545   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-358566259.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	54546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2750292127.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	54547  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

There is a bunch of play in the hinges that allow you to adjust the door up and down. I would suggest that you loosen the door striker and see where you are then trying to adjust the door using the play from the hinges and if it does not work then check if the bulkhead is setup properly.

Unless this is a fresh build or the bulkhead was just replaced then I would start there.

Door gaps should be even front and back and the body line at the curve should be straight
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
2 man made objects visible from outer space. The Great Wall of China and the panel gaps on a Land Rover.

LOL...

Now the helpful answer. Height and angle can be adjusted by loosening the hinges at the bulkhead and making the necessary adjustments. Strikers can be shimmed off the door pillar or moved in and out or up and down. Moving them in *may* help with the problem of doors not closing all the way at the top. Otherwise, you may be into "adjusting" the angle of the door frame which can be done but that is tricky business usually best done while the owner is not watching...
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Isn't that when you put a 2x4 between the door and the strike and push the top in really hard? I have no problem doing this but I am afraid the doors may fall apart if the paint cracks
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Roll down the window, put your knee on the window frame right where the door card ends (above the door lock button), and pull in on the top of the door.

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2012 02:19 PM ------

Doesn't take much
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
You have the newest door seal? They have an inner piece of rubber in the the corners. I don't get how one thought of that one? The seals are (when compressed) about the same thickness of the gap where the door should be. Ain't no way to have the door shut properly. If that's your case I suggest you use a sharp razor blade and cut in the angle of the seal and pry out (with pliers) the inner piece. Now the seal + door are able to fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I noticed that there was something inside the seals and that it seemed like it was holding the door out. I will try and remove the inner piece and see what happens. I need new seals anyways
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:07 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Remember these trucks are hand built. That type of gap is not unusual especially if it's had work done. It's can be made better but it will never be a Honda. It's a two person job to fix correctly. As mentioned, adjust the bulkhead first. Then adjust the door. You can also use painters tape around the edges to keep from chipping the paint. Remove the door strike and adjust the door. Then refit the strike. It's not hard just a PITA!

Good Luck

Old Land Rover Joke:

When BMW owned Land Rover they saw Mercedes-Benz do a air infiltration test. MB locked a cat inside one of their cars for 24 hours to see how much air got in from the outside. When they came back, the cat was dead! BMW though this was pretty cool so they locked a cat inside a Defender for 24 hours. When they came back the cat was gone!
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment, door