So the Rover's out of the garage. I drove it down the driveway and back last night just to see how the steering/alignment was. The driveway is around a 1/3 of a mile, so it's not a bad test. I didn't go further because a) the hood latch needs adjustment and b) the brake dust shield needs a bolt to get it away from the brake disc.
So after all this... here's what I got done:
1. New swivel balls, with pins and seals.
2. New oil / grease seals from the swivel through the drive flange.
3. Repacked bearings (that's a fun job for a guy who never grew up).
4. New panhard rod and bushings.
5. New Drag link w/ ball joints.
6. New track rod with ball joints.
7. New steering damper (OME).
8. A string alignment (thanks guys!)
9. Adjusted rear wheel bearings.
10. New power steering hoses and reservoir.
11. New (used) rr passenger seatbelt.
12. New wiper motor assembly.
Next step is to order some parts from W Tillery (hood latch part, brake dust shields, and something else... I forgot what). Get the truck, late, to emissions on its expired tags. Get a real alignment and get someone to extract the 2 broken drive flange bolts (r/f and l/r). Get someone to weld repair the frame rust-through. Eventually get the under body treated with Ospho/POR15 or something...
Well I'm sure I screwed up something or other, but it's out of the borrowed garage and mobile and I've never done anythng like it, so I'm pleased.
Oh yeah, and new Hella headlights. I feel like there's more I've forgotten.