Doh! ARB 9000i Mounting question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:35 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Doh! ARB 9000i Mounting question

Well i should have read the forums in advance. My 9000i obviously does not fit in the default holes on the ARB.

I see a few people though have made it work. Can anyone tell me what tricks work to get it mounted in the proper orientation to pull in the normal direction?
I saw a great shot of Wick's winch when he was selling it in the archives but not enough to see what it takes.
I thought possibly modifying the heat sink and or new holes?

Any advice or pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I thought the ARB winch bumper was designed for the non integrated solenoid winches (ie the XD9000, not the XD9000i).
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:43 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Pretty sure mine was a 9000i. No separate solenoid, that's sure. Anyway someone with pics/info will turn up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I couldn't fit my XD9000i in my ARB. If I turned it upside down it would fit but it would be running back-wards which is not good for the winch. You may be able to re-drill holes in the ARB to get it to fit but I don't think the hole for the cable will line up, so you will have to widened that also. I was going to go this rout but I could not get the winch over far enough away from the existing holes to avoid it sliding around.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dennis, all I can tell you is if you cannot mount your winch I can trade you my XD9000 for your winch plus some cash since your winch is a bit more expensive than mine.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:45 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman

Wicks,
Here is a link from when you sold your winch,

old winch thread

Can you tell me if you remember your ARB bumper being modified in any way on the passenger side frame rail mount? The only difference I can see is my winch has a heat sink on the end of the motor where yours was only housing?

I was thinking of grinding the heat sink even with the housing and or radiusing the arb similar to the way the drivers side is radiused, in order to allow it to set flush on the frame? I had it in and it was pretty close so I don't think it needs much work? I am sure it will line up from side to side and from the mock up I did it didn't look like it needed any holes redrilled or the opening modified? Do you remember if you had other holes drilled on the front to relocate it vertically?

Yousef, I really appreciate your offer, I would like to set it back in there and see how close it is before I make any decisions to cut stuff up or swap. The winches are very similar, so if we do go the trade route I have no problem doing an even swap. Hell I should pay you for pulling me out of the jam. I need new winch cable so you would just need to pull yours off. I was in a rush to get the bumper on, Sunday before a superbowl party so I decided it was easier to just remove the winch rather than modify anything. I will let you know in the next couple days what I can find.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Dennis
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

It was dealer installed and I don't think there were any mods. Didn't look like any but they could have drilled different holes and they were just always covered up. You are positioning it like in my picture? (As if the front of the bumper were the bottom.)

Maybe it was an older 9000i without a heat sink? Take yours off with risk of overheating motor. Or sell it off and get a husky?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

sell me your arb!

Just sell it to me and I'll figure it out.
Brian Bertolini
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

What is wrong with mounting it upside down? The Warn has planetary gears, so it shouldn't matter. A winch with a worm gear may matter because of the stress is pushing the worm gear a different direction than designed.

Just curious

Mike
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I talked to several people and they said it won't work. I'm not exactly sure why, but I tied it, and it did not pull my empty 90 up a small hill. I think it has to do with how the motor is made. This and several other reasons is why I don't want an electric winch.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman

I thought about mounting it upside down and then winding the cable the oposite way so it still pulls in the same direction? I thought that would work also? Seems like as long as the spool is pulling in the appropriate direction you could have the cable in almost any direction 180 degrees relative to the horizontal?
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I tried that also but when you spool in the cable it grinds against the top roller on the flair real bad, and when you get to almost a full drum of cable it gets even worse.
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dennis, your PM box is full. Give me a call at my cell when you have a chance.
303-882-6638
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If you guy's find a way to make this work let me know as I have an XD9000i and an ARB on my 90 with no winch currently.
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

you can easily make this work, cut out the top and mount the winch properly. It even looks good.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, mount