Does your diesel have a favorite food? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:46 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Does your diesel have a favorite food?

i have a bp station near my house and try to avoid it with my petrol cars, but the local country store doesnt sell diesel. When I diesel up on bp low sulfer diesel, i seem to lose power, gain noise.
When i put in what is claimed to be, by the 80 year old farm caretaker who installed the new tank, "fuel oil from 1965" it runs strong and quiets up a bit. (Have a 500 gallon full of old fuel oil not connected to anything and a 1000 gallon subterranean currently in use) Smokes a smidgen more maybe. I add the recommended amount of diesel kleen. It looks like amber polyurethane and smells like it too. But runs like a champ. Goes from fighting for 60 mph to getting there before i know it and holding it.

Are the new diesel mixes in the US not so nad rover friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Stanadyne. I run it with every tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Veggy oil for longer distances.
Since 2006.
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Is that the rover's favourite or yours?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am/was a big fan of:
- Shell 45 cetane diesel (you have to search around...most Shell stations only carry 40 cetane)
- 8oz of XPD OptiLube in each tank: http://opti-lube.com/xpd-diesel-fuel...r-product.html

I'm not a big "additive" guy, but that stuff worked fantastic...quieted down the motor, and increased mpg's by 1-2 per mile.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
Is that the rover's favourite or yours?
Don't know about Rover.
But the first Diesel shown runs with veggy oil.

And it still does.
I don't know about the first one but my 300tdi is still running.
No probs at all.

Well, the veggy oil is preheated by the oil filter with an addional water cooled heater. A several tank is needed, too. And two valves to get the right fluid into the pump.

But at the bottum line, I'm running on veggy oil.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:36 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

When I drive a Rover 4 cylinder N/A diesel years ago the type of fuel oil or diesel didn't seen to make a difference, but that was before the low sulfur refining.

In the OM617 you can burn anything and I mean anything flammable from hydraulic oil to waste motor oil, veg oil, ATF, brake fluid, gear oil and so on.

I have talked to the guys at the local diesel truck shop and they add a quart of new ATF to each tank of low sulfur diesel and swear by it. This makes no difference in the OM617, but have tried it in out 200TDI 110 and it seems to run a little better, but not any huge jump in acceleration like you describe Ben.

On another note, I am working Friday. Were you planning to stop in for a visit???

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:50 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Yea thats the point...is low sulfer less suited for british or older diesels. Farm manager says his tractors wont run the low sulpher. He orders high sulphur for the farm. But thats all red.

Not friday. Was going down on saturday if you're up for a visit. Have a guy meeting me down there somewhere nearish you.

But yea... Really seems to smooth out. Its not miraculous... But it seems to be measurable. The. Again, if it has different properties, maybe its just tuned for fuel oil. When i changed the timing belt it was still using the MOD fuel of lord knows what age... Looks like it was in service 4 years ago based on a rebuild tag on the steering box.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
2.5 and 2.5td Lucas injection pumps don't like US low sulpher fuels and will start leaking with time requiring a rebuild with updated seals, which is a good time to punt and go tdi.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
where do all these rover tdis come from in the US?

I guess its worth the $4k or so to be able to bolt straight in?

I was thinking of how a 22r or 22re... hooking it to the transmission not withstanding, would be a good swap. reliable, efficient not going to break any axles...

If I was going to upgrade for that price, I think I'd rather go the robert davis way. But I haven't given it much thought.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Not friday. Was going down on saturday if you're up for a visit. Have a guy meeting me down there somewhere nearish you.
Saturday is fine as will be wrapping up a GM engine conversion, right UD?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
are you asking me or telling me to come get it Sunday ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
I'm meeting a guy about 35 min north of you at noon. So.. 1pm ish I can be down at your place.

Might stop to eat if I haven't by then.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:32 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

The 2.5 NA my truck came with ran well on Shell bio diesel. The pump actually stopped leaking after the first tank. When I switched to a 19j and ran the Shell, it hated it started knocking and raising hell. I've switched back to regular diesel and a fuel treatment my local diesel shop recommended everything runs great now.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:15 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bish1865 View Post
The 2.5 NA my truck came with ran well on Shell bio diesel. The pump actually stopped leaking after the first tank. When I switched to a 19j and ran the Shell, it hated it started knocking and raising hell. I've switched back to regular diesel and a fuel treatment my local diesel shop recommended everything runs great now.
I always used diesel kleen treatment. Never had any issues and it certainly seemed to help my NA lump get up to speed
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I'm meeting a guy about 35 min north of you at noon. So.. 1pm ish I can be down at your place.

Might stop to eat if I haven't by then.
That's fine. I'll be working diligently on an engine back in the shop when you stop by.
You might want to try the ATF as an additive and see how it does with your 2.5 N/A if you're not driving your other ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
are you asking me or telling me to come get it Sunday ?
Let's see how Saturday goes before we make plans on Sunday.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I mostly see a cetane of 40, sometimes 42. I guess there are some 45 at Hess and Shell stations. What I don't find weird is how the US gets some low ass cetane while Europe and England get 55 easy! Im sure our NA/200/300 engines don't mind it. Im wondering how the TD5s cope with this.

I've also read that this isn't regulated at all like gas is. so the pump may say "lowest cetane grade of 45" and they just put 40 in there.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:40 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
You might want to try the ATF as an additive and see how it does with your 2.5 N/A if you're not driving your other ride.
Yea, I'm not driving 4 hours cross washington dc in the 2.5 na pulling a 6x10 enclosed trailer.

The seat in my landy is not exactly up to the task if nothing else. When I got it, the foam seemed fine, but now, it just lets me sit straight on the board under it. Want new seats, need some new padding.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
When I drive a Rover 4 cylinder N/A diesel years ago the type of fuel oil or diesel didn't seen to make a difference, but that was before the low sulfur refining.

In the OM617 you can burn anything and I mean anything flammable from hydraulic oil to waste motor oil, veg oil, ATF, brake fluid, gear oil and so on.

I have talked to the guys at the local diesel truck shop and they add a quart of new ATF to each tank of low sulfur diesel and swear by it. This makes no difference in the OM617, but have tried it in out 200TDI 110 and it seems to run a little better, but not any huge jump in acceleration like you describe Ben.

On another note, I am working Friday. Were you planning to stop in for a visit???
Very interesting about the fuel OM617's can and will burn. Another nice little feature of them :D
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:55 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Very interesting about the fuel OM617's can and will burn. Another nice little feature of them :D
Uh, yeah! I'm beginning to have some regret to using the HS2.8. Though a good engine, it is finicky about what it drinks.

I tried to build a vehicle that could hopefully use veggie oil. I found out the hard way it doesn't even like biodiesel in concentrations greater than 20%.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel