Does your diesel have a favorite food? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Uh, yeah! I'm beginning to have some regret to using the HS2.8. Though a good engine, it is finicky about what it drinks. I tried to build a vehicle that could hopefully use veggie oil. I found out the hard way it doesn't even like biodiesel in concentrations greater than 20%.
Yeah, it's one of those things where you might not put any thought to it. I would have figured diesel is diesel right?

One very small reason I went with the OM617 was I had read that it was veggie oil friendly. It is a long term plan to have it as an option. But I had no clue that certain diesel fuels could yield a difference in performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Ran out of diesel driving the Mercedes OM617 powered 110 on the highway on the way back to VA from Uwharrie and made it part way up an exit that had a 7-11 in sight with gas pumps, no diesel.
Bought 2 gallons of unleaded regular, poured it in, waited a few minutes for the 12V fuel pump to fill the empty fuel system up, stared the OM617 and drove 7 or 8 miles to the next exit where I filled up with diesel.
Didn't notice any difference running on gasoline except the temperature went up a little.
Cleaned 12 gallons of used crankcase oil with a centrifuge and didn't notice any difference.
Have run on hydraulic oil, ATF, and WVO and you also can't tell any difference.

Met a German engineer who was in the Wermarth many years ago while touring the Morgan plant in Malvern, Worcs, England.
He was chief engineer, but was a non-repatriated POW who told me that the allies were bombing the German refineries, oil fields, rail heads, and so on.
The Wermarth couldn't get fuel, so Mercedes designed fuel injection systems to run on whatever was available (apparently with his help).
Those multi-fuel injection systems continued to be built by Mercedes into the 1990s on production vehicles and dried up when the OM617 went out of production in about 2001.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Ran out of diesel driving the Mercedes OM617 powered 110 on the highway on the way back to VA from Uwharrie and made it part way up an exit that had a 7-11 in sight with gas pumps, no diesel. Bought 2 gallons of unleaded regular, poured it in, waited a few minutes for the 12V fuel pump to fill the empty fuel system up, stared the OM617 and drove 7 or 8 miles to the next exit where I filled up with diesel. Didn't notice any difference running on gasoline except the temperature went up a little. Cleaned 12 gallons of used crankcase oil with a centrifuge and didn't notice any difference. Have run on hydraulic oil, ATF, and WVO and you also can't tell any difference. Met a German engineer who was in the Wermarth many years ago while touring the Morgan plant in Malvern, Worcs, England. He was chief engineer, but was a non-repatriated POW who told me that the allies were bombing the German refineries, oil fields, rail heads, and so on. The Wermarth couldn't get fuel, so Mercedes designed fuel injection systems to run on whatever was available (apparently with his help). Those multi-fuel injection systems continued to be built by Mercedes into the 1990s on production vehicles and dried up when the OM617 went out of production in about 2001.
Robert, someone should build a freaking reality show around you man. Your experiences and your craft for telling them is priceless. You're a good guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2014, 08:31 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Robert, someone should build a freaking reality show around you man. Your experiences and your craft for telling them is priceless. You're a good guy.
Only if Shayne or Jonsey played played the part...

Had a friend tell me that there should be a character on the Walking Dead who drives an OM617 powered Defender style Land Rover. On the show, this guy travels around helping the surviving humans and fuels up on fuel oil tanks next to abandoned houses that have an oil furnace and at grease disposal dumpsters behind restaurants.

Had a good laugh out of that one!

Did have a few people at work give me their used turkey fryer oil.
Burns nicely and the exhaust smells like a "barbie" with burgers on the flame.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old December 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
who ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Spending $20K plus on a 25 year old Land Rover,
Cranking wrenches, and spending more money on it,
Going to 4WD Events and spending time at a campfire with a bottle of port and Robert Davis...

PRICELESS
Old December 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...8.kMNbgsUtH7OQ
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 5th, 2014, 09:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Interestingly enough...the 45-cetane station near me is not on that map.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 5th, 2014, 10:47 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Interestingly enough...the 45-cetane station near me is not on that map.
I think we should start adding to it. The map owners email is in the side bar under the description. Id like to fine some more in the northeast. Maryland looks good though!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 5th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Spending $20K plus on a 25 year old Land Rover,
Cranking wrenches, and spending more money on it,
Going to 4WD Events and spending time at a campfire with a bottle of port and Robert Davis...

PRICELESS
you need to come to Portsmouth in June.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 6th, 2014, 02:12 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
I've been experiencing an unusual knocking in my 60k NA lately. First I thought it was valves out of tune. They turned out to be a little off the mark but not what I would consider way out of whack. So after reading this thread I decided what the hell, I've driven this NA about 4-5k miles since I brought her over a couple years ago without fuel additives or paying any attention to the grade of fuel I've been using. Long story short, I threw a quart of ATF in a full tank of shell diesel. WOW! magic! What a huge immediate difference. Sold. Thanks Guys!

Clay

Old December 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
did you do the intake gasket and downpipe yet?

Quote:
I've been experiencing an unusual knocking in my 60k NA lately. First I thought it was valves out of tune. They turned out to be a little off the mark but not what I would consider way out of whack. So after reading this thread I decided what the hell, I've driven this NA about 4-5k miles since I brought her over a couple years ago without fuel additives or paying any attention to the grade of fuel I've been using. Long story short, I threw a quart of ATF in a full tank of shell diesel. WOW! magic! What a huge immediate difference. Sold. Thanks Guys!

Clay
Old December 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Negative. Spoke to The Rick Man and it sounds like he has the pipe though.

Old October 4th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Eugenemsmith
Eugenem smith

Very informative thread.
Old October 4th, 2017, 01:57 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

New to this compression ignition thing....the Isuzu in the Perentie.

I've only put in ten gallons in the past three weeks...local pumps all seem to say "may be between 5% and 20% Biodiesel".

All I know is that it smelled like a tractor is supposed to before...and now smells like a campfire.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:05 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
New to this compression ignition thing....the Isuzu in the Perentie.

I've only put in ten gallons in the past three weeks...local pumps all seem to say "may be between 5% and 20% Biodiesel".

All I know is that it smelled like a tractor is supposed to before...and now smells like a campfire.
Keith, I run B20 all spring and summer here in CO and my truck loves it. When I can't get it because I'm away from home or in the winter I notice the lack of smoothness in the engine. The smell is noticeable as well my wife doesn't like the Bio fuel smell during the summer.
Do you have a turbo or is it NA?
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:22 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
you need to come to Portsmouth in June.
Jonsey did, just a few years later, but in June.

Old October 4th, 2017, 03:24 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy2 View Post
Keith, I run B20 all spring and summer here in CO and my truck loves it. When I can't get it because I'm away from home or in the winter I notice the lack of smoothness in the engine. The smell is noticeable as well my wife doesn't like the Bio fuel smell during the summer.
Do you have a turbo or is it NA?
Thanks Brian

It's n/a ... this year

I have this feeling that Iowa has plenty of biodiesel to go around.

...edit...

crap, I owe Mister Davis some pics of the rear seat belt bars in the 90!

Blast....I'll get them tonight!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel