Does this stuff make my butt look big? Am I over weight? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
Does this stuff make my butt look big? Am I over weight?

I have never been on an extended trip where I had to analyze the load capacity in my 110, but want to run this by some of you that are far more experienced. Im assuming the weight is fine, based on some of the photos I've seen of your rigs, but thought I'd draw on the collective expertise of this group.

I want to make sure Im not overloading my vehicle to the point where I could increase trail damage. So here are the weighty items that I will be carrying. Only about 165lbs will be on the roof - the rest will be inside or on a swing-away hitch carrier.

Is this too much weight with 4 200lb guys in the truck? (800 lbs)

1) 2 fuel jerry cans (30 lbs)
2) 4 1.75 gallon roto paks and a 5 gallon auxiliary water tank (100 lbs)
3) a superline cargo area drawer (90 lbs) loaded with air, recovery stuff, etc so more weight
4) 2 hannibal awnings - combined weight prob less than (100 lbs)
5) SD roof rack
6) tuffy winch mounted on front bumper, along with 48" hi-jack
7) 2 spares - one rear door and one top or bonnet
8) yeti 1250 (100 lbs)
9) loaded NL fridge. (55 lbs empty) plus a few cases of beer, of course

So, that puts me at 1320 lbs, plus racks, winch, jacks, spares, full fuel and all the camping gear, tents, more coolers and bags which puts me over the GVWR of 6504 - is that a concern? I think my rear springs are HD, though they've been on there since 99. sorry for the stupid question, but the roads will be pretty rough and I don't want to be so overloaded that I screw something up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
You need a Sankey!
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That would be excessively heavy for paved roads crossing Kansas. Rough roads is beyond that. You are past the limits IMO on brakes, driveline and your suspension.

You want a wide safety margin if you are doing any kind of overlanding. you didn't say where you are going, but the fact that you are thinking of 2 spare tires tells me you are doing extended overlanding on unimproved roads in remote areas. As a practice, you should be doing remote travel with two vehicles, not one. Better to spread that load as well.

I would not go past listed GVWR unless I know for sure I have upgraded my brakes, my driveline is it great condition and that your springs and tires are rated for the load.

I have been in a constant state of evolution with my overland kit which is my goal for my rig, and I am constantly focused on evaluating everything to justify it's weight, and always on the lookout for gear that can do the same job with less weight penalty.

tells us more about your trip, to justify a trip requiring two spares (unlikely in the US), you don't have enough water for 4 adults, you probably are carrying too much fuel for the weight cost, and you should seriously consider leaving the yeti since you have a fridge. your meal planning should focus on backfilling your drinks and increasing your non-perisheable foods.

yes, you are on track to screw something up as is.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM
coffee
John Oates

Registry
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what i was afraid of. And yes, I do need a sankey, but I've already pitched that to the family chief accounting officer and it was rejected.....

OK, Im dropping the two biggest friends and putting them in their own car, leaving a cooler behind, and may drop a spare. Hopefully that will be enough to manage. That drops 700 lbs. Thanks for the advice

Im going to the backcountry of big bend national park- so not too crazy and not technical, but there are sometimes bad washouts and a few areas that get rough. I can likely get by with one spare - its just so remove that Im concerned about the nearest shop being a couple of hours away.

Im taking a lifesaver jerry can and can refill and purify water as we go. I didn't think about taking less gas, but that's a good suggestion. I could drop the battery generator - but not much else. the drawer is heavy, but i need it for security since we are camping right by the rio grande. there have been a ton of recent car break-ins

I appreciate the feedback - very helpful
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
a better use of weight would be a pair of tire irons and a tire patch kit. with a little knowledge, you can easily repair all punctures except a major tear in a sidewall. if you blow out a sidewall, that is your trigger to go to nearest town to replace a tire.

if you are very remote, rethink your water. it is the most critical item to life. you need to be sure that there is water easily accessible whereever you go if you are going with that little. boiling is your failsafe purification. you should consider water bladders. very little weight, and you don't fill them til just before you head off road.

as for fuel, think of it like a pilot. keep your tanks as empty as you can until just before you leave the pavement and services, then transfer from highest center of gravity supply down. and do the math on your range. if you are traveling 100 miles off road, you don't need 500 miles of fuel. that's just unnecessary weight punishing your suspension and powertrain.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Liquor is lighter than beer!

Also you might consider ditching the drawer system for some soft bags; unless that 90#s is the total weight
Old September 15th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
And yes, I do need a sankey, but I've already pitched that to the family chief accounting officer and it was rejected.....
Don't tell the wife!

Just do it!!!
Old September 15th, 2014, 04:59 PM
coffee
John Oates

Registry
I'd love to ditch the drawer - I usually don't use one, but I need it for security near the border. I do like the suggestion to switch from beer to liquor. now that its cooling off, a bottle of bourbon might be a good solution. problem solved
Old September 15th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

The drawer won't help...they will just tear everything up more to get to it. When are you leaving?
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what i was afraid of. And yes, I do need a sankey, but I've already pitched that to the family chief accounting officer and it was rejected....
What kind of man doesn't have his secret toy slush fund?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
What kind of man doesn't have his secret toy slush fund?
The same kind that needs it to be a secret! lol...
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM
coffee
John Oates

Registry
I couldn't agree more, Rocky. I thought I had one, but it was quickly depleted once I started getting old whitely in fighting shape for the trip. Lesson learned, I need a bigger slush fund.

Bill - Im not going until October - should be perfect weather that time of year. I've only been in the spring - Last time we did the rafting trip from Lajitas and its incredible.
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sankey's are cheap, they don't need to be pretty to do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht