Does the 95 SW have a factory amp? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2005, 12:21 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Does the 95 SW have a factory amp?

Greetings all,

so I'm finally getting around to putting in a stereo in the beast. Got myself a cheapie sony that would fit the bill, and wired it up to the stock stereo wires. I just connected the standard (amplified) stereo wires..to the stock wires in the truck, which is linked to the speakers. My question is..does this run my already amplified signal through an amp?

thanks,

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

yes, it is under the pass. seat
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Thanks!
I knew the sound was a bit harsh..like over amplified. so, I guess that means I need to connect the pre-amp output from the new stereo, to the harness that used to go into the old stereo.

arg!

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2005, 03:07 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

No. You want to connect the preamp outs from your head unit directly to your new amp and then wire it to your speakers. You will completely take out the old harness and amp. The harness from the old head unit doesn't have RCA connectors so it's only good for Defender connections.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Art.

I dont have a new amp, and I'm not going to get one. So basically, I just want to run the stereo I got, through the stock wires to the speakers (changed the speakers with some cheapies..). The question is, can I bypass the stock amp, and still use the stock wires (just dont have the time to pull new wires...), or should I just use preamp out to the stock harness.

-arbi
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Oops, misread.

1. You can use the preamp outs from your Sony but you'll have to splice into the harness before the amp. To do this you need to get RCA cables with one end having loose leads. These are to be spliced into the harness. However, you will be limited by the power of the built-in amp, which is marginal.

2. Assuming your Sony's amp is better, you can use the high power outputs and splice into the harness after the built-in amp. Of course, you will remove the built-in amp.

In either case, you should use those quick-clamp splice connectors. They're easy to use and removable.

You can easily try both scenarios and see which works better. It's hard to say ahead of tiime which will be better. I used the stock amp for a long time and found it just fine. If you're the head banger type then this may not do.

Finally, you can always add a cheap, high power amp and use the pre-outs from your Sony. This is the best way to go.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:16 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Thanks for the info. i just wired it up using the RCAs today...sounds decent.
I just didnt feel doing anymore wiring, and since my whole setup is pretty cheapie...its great!

Thanks for the info Art.

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, ac, factory