Does any one know what this switch should do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Does any one know what this switch should do?

Hey all! ive got this mistery switch on the left side of my steering column. any one know what it should do? i cant seam to figure anything out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120530_191919.png
Views:	121
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	52375  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
petminded
David

ive looked on line and downloaded some manuals (both repair and owner) but dont find any comments about it
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Interior light dimmer. At night you can adjust your dash from "are my dash lights working?" to "wow, yeah I guess my lights were actually on."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes it's the dash light dimmer. And I found out this evening that mine is broken and my dash lights would be nice and bright if it did work

Any idea if these are still available?
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wait....these are on NAS trucks? Do they all have them?

Threw me as this is in the wrong section (Series). Where the heck is it, may explain why I can't see sh*t at night on my 90 (I have to either carry a flashlight or use a gps to see how fast I'm going).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 31st, 2012, 02:37 AM
petminded
David

sorry. i didnt realized i posted my question in the wrong place. where should i have posted it? i have tons of questions like this one.

also its to the left of my steering column very low on the dash board. in the pick i posted u can see the additional a/c vent just below.

ok. so ots a dask light dimmer? then why is it a switch? i would think a dimmer would be a knob or something to alow variability. but a switch- so there is only high and low?
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:54 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
sorry. i didnt realized i posted my question in the wrong place. where should i have posted it? i have tons of questions like this one.

also its to the left of my steering column very low on the dash board. in the pick i posted u can see the additional a/c vent just below.

ok. so ots a dask light dimmer? then why is it a switch? i would think a dimmer would be a knob or something to alow variability. but a switch- so there is only high and low?

It's a 'dimmer' with only two settings - ON or OFF

Paul.

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded

Variable knobs must have been difficult for the British to develop, so they just threw in 2 position switches everywhere. My old Jag had a knob for the dash dimmer, but half way through turning you could feel it turn the "switch" over - so it was also just a 2 position switch in the end, even though it was disguised in a knob.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I moved it to Defender Technical Discussions. This is the best place to post for Defender questions

Quote:
I *think when working it it both a switch and a variable resistor. At least that's my expectation, but mine has never worked. It's big enough to be more than a plain switch.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
yep, dash dimmer.. Low is "barely perceivable" and high is "still pretty low"
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

2-position; "dim" & "bright"; repair is easy; replacements are available RN, R-down south, etc. $45 I think, accessory switch for rear light etc is about $14, has the same internals, however, a different plug pattern. Ebay - Lucas YUF101590 Illuminated Dash Light Switch for Land Rover Defender, SQB713
-
Unscrew warning light bar from center of instrument console, reach down and push switch out; spring tabs located top & bottom of switch. (Alternately, take instrument cluster off to access); switch & dash easily break so prying out from the front generally won’t work.
-1st check to see if it’s plugged in; 3 prong plug
-if yes, unplug, clean contacts both ends, (steel wool, scrap, etc)
-plug back in; make sure all prongs are making contact. (Wiggle)
-if not working, check to see if you have power at plug terminal, simple tester (ignition on). No power, check fuses, etc…
-I took mine apart and found that the internal spring & contacts no longer made contact as one rear tab was broken; cleaned, assembled, and epoxy. (Pay attention to parts, I had to take apart the accessory switch to see how the guts went together)
-I also duct-taped the plug/switch together as it doesn’t hold together very well…typical Brit-part-electrical junk…
-add to “to –do list”; repair/replace all the broken tabs you just broke taking off the instrument cluster…!
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The lower corner piece of the dash comes off easily without risk of breaking tabs or anything and gives easy access. Mine is falling apart and a tab fell out of it when pulled on the connector (although it isn't part of the connector). I think a new one is the best idea.

Mmh $130 at RN is a bit steep though. Can't even find it on AB. Time for a UK order
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
The lower corner piece of the dash comes off easily without risk of breaking tabs or anything and gives easy access. Mine is falling apart and a tab fell out of it when pulled on the connector (although it isn't part of the connector). I think a new one is the best idea.

Mmh $130 at RN is a bit steep though. Can't even find it on AB. Time for a UK order
Let me investigate mine before ordering...I don't remember seeing it on there, but based on my lack of vis at night I'm guessing I may need one too.

You have a part #?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:29 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Ebay UK - Lucas YUF101590 Illuminated Dash Light Switch for Land Rover Defender, SQB713

$25 ebay-UK , shipped
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's even cheaper than here, which is my usual go-to spot:
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...arch=YUF101590
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It was under $20 shipped via the ones for sale via the ebay link. Were 7 available when I got mine.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:25 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I wonder if Brits have better night vision than us on this side of the pond...
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I wonder if Brits have better night vision than us on this side of the pond...
It's a medical fact that we do* ... it has developed because the weather is so crappy that we need less available light to see clearly.

** when I say fact, it's more like a made up claim than a real fact ... but it's similar in a dissimilar way.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It's an internet fact!
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:39 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

83% of all statistics and facts are made up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch