Does a fan clutch on 2.5L improve performance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Does a fan clutch on 2.5L improve performance?

I've been thinking of buying the kit Urban Land Rovers sells to install a fan clutch setup on my 2.5L Petrol 90 as a way to eek-out a bit more performance, especially at cruising speeds of 50-60 mph. Reducing the drag from the current constantly-driven fan makes sense but I'm just wondering if others have done this and if so, whether there was a noticeable difference.

Feedback appreciated.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:53 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
50-60 is all that engine/trans/brakes should be expected to give. Use the equity in your house to finance an engine/drive train and disc brake conversion.
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Appreciate the thought but I'm not looking to go faster, just to free-up some wasted horsepower. As for the engine swap, I'm only the second owner of this truck and want to keep it in it's original form. Something I like about it being unadulterated and just as he factory produced it. And as for disc brakes, it has them in front and there''s no reason to convert the rears- the drums work just fine.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Free up some wasted horsepower? So you can feel good on the inside? Fixing a cosmic wrong? Do you need that .3 HP for something else?

Even doing it to get rid of excess noise would be a good reason, but saving wasted horsepower seems like busy work.
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
You may notice a small percentage improvement in gas mileage but i doubt you'd notice a performance improvement.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:47 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

You know its a 2.5 liter land rover engine, right? If you want a 2.5 race engine suggest buying from Turner or ACR in the UK cause that the only way. Its a rabbit hole otherwise. Sure you can grind here and there, that will give you a little bit more umph and thats it. You want more just upgrade to a 3.5 or 3.9 engine with overdrive.
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

To specifically answer your original question free of advice like you should go with the Iveco, Isuzu, or Mercedes diesel conversions which I will not go into.

There are 2 things to avoid in your question:
Putting in a fan clutch and buying from well I can't mention names.
You will be much better off with an electric fan that comes on and goes off (controlled by) a thermo switch.
Then at speed (low for you) you don't waist a small percent of your already very very low and limited performance on a fixed mechanical fan.
If we were measuring the percentage used based on what you had to start with and the loss with a fixed fan, it would be described as low and lower.
The proverbial splitting of hairs is more like it... not worth the trouble.
Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Gents:

I appreciate all the feedback and for giving me some perspective on this. In theory it makes sense and the seller claimed a noticeable difference on his 110- of course he is selling the kit so one would expect a claim of this sort. What I wanted was some real world feedback from others, which is just what you gave me.

And after thinking more about this, I guess one simple way to test the theory would be to remove my fan (when cool), take a short drive and see if I can feel any difference. But seems I'd be better-off spending my money elsewhere, like the rear tire carrier I want.

And FWIW- I have no illusions about going fast in this thing. If I want to go faster than my 90's 86 horsepower will take me, I'll drive my LR3 and if that doesn't cut it, I'll take the 911.

Cheers,

CARL

Old October 13th, 2015, 07:45 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blood View Post
Gents: I appreciate all the feedback and for giving me some perspective on this. In theory it makes sense and the seller claimed a noticeable difference on his 110- of course he is selling the kit so one would expect a claim of this sort. What I wanted was some real world feedback from others, which is just what you gave me. And after thinking more about this, I guess one simple way to test the theory would be to remove my fan (when cool), take a short drive and see if I can feel any difference. But seems I'd be better-off spending my money elsewhere, like the rear tire carrier I want. And FWIW- I have no illusions about going fast in this thing. If I want to go faster than my 90's 86 horsepower will take me, I'll drive my LR3 and if that doesn't cut it, I'll take the 911. Cheers, CARL
Carl, you're a good sport and have great taste in vehicles. I totally agree. Keep it original and use something else when your not on island time.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 13th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Snake oil! If a simple fan clutch would enable more HP & yield higher MPG even at 50% of the claimed promises that kit would be worth 2K+ and would sell like hot cakes! The extra weight of the fan clutch and attached fan with its increased distance from the water pump flang will put extra weight on the pump shaft / bearing shortening its life expectancy in quick order! Your milage may vary!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions