Do you have to service a detroit locker - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Do you have to service a detroit locker

I washed with great care my truck this past weekend and before that I had been driving it around without a care in the world and so thankful I have had such a treasure to tool around in with the fall weather. Anyhow today went to take the kids to braums and got this strange noise driving along much like I was dragging a office chair rolling on plastic casters. Anyway I have put a locker in this truck and it has been perfect. The noise is not engine related it is only when the truck is rolling and does not change with rpms only movement. I am concerned that I have been negligent about servicing my locker or that maybe a bearing has gone out under the belly of the beast.

Any ideas on the locker or the noise would be forever appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2008, 12:17 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

First, definitely check the diff fluid level... make sure it's filled up.

Second, there are 4 bearings in the third member... 2 on the carrier and two on the pinion side... either one of them could be going south... jack the rear of the truck up, remove the rear driveshaft, try spinning a tire, see if you are still hearing the noise... if you do, pull the third member and inspect it..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

good ideas

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I doubt that the sound it from the locker. A bad bearing will translate into "gear" noise that is only audible on or off power.

The locker itself, you should hear click if you listen carefully in a tight turn. It is either alive or dead...

There is nothing to do other than maintain the diff fluid as per the standard diff.

Like I said, your description makes me want to look elsewhere.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

" like I was dragging a office chair rolling on plastic casters"

Bad wheel bearing.
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

That's the best description of a wheelbearing I've ever heard.

Now I'd like to come up with one for the nut job who pulled in with no brake pads in the stuck rear caliper and the rotor worn down (by the caliper piston that was also almost gone) after "one of those other shops" had told him the rear diff was shot.

Sort of sounded like the office chair had been dragged for a few hundred miles with a large person sitting in it.

Hate to agree with Ron.... but will have to all the same....smile;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
detroit locker, service