DIY VNT turbo for 300TDI? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Mark did you install a Turbo Boost Gauge as well? If so, can you tell me the part number for gauge and sender? Too many options on the egauges site and I'm not sure what is appropriate for this particular turbo.
Carl,
The VNT turbo is not like the 300 tdi turbo at all. it's either reading 0 at idle or it's at 16psi otherwise. Yes, I have a boost gauge. you're going with a 2 1/16" gauge and the VDO's come with a max of 15 or 30 psi. Obviously, you want the 30. You won't tune anything with the gauge though, so don't feel like you're in a rush as a prequisite to this kit. Since this turbo manages the boost itself, you can add this later after it's all in if you want it. I have it just to monitor turbo health, and to when there is any engine problems, I can look at the gauge and know the turbo is ok or not. As an example, when my last turbo failed (whole other story-not turbo's fault) I was able to look at the boost on the highway with smoke billowing out and know the turbo died, as the engine was running and there was no boost. On another occasion, my boost feed line to the gauge slipped off it's attachment nipple. Looking at gauge, I was able to figure it out quickly.

You have some discretion in where you attach is. Mine is using a T splice on the boost line from the turbo to the injection pump. I could have also (and may still at some point) go direct to the intake manifold chamber, as the 2.8 chamber actually has a threaded port on it at the back that is plugged, probably to read boost.

you need to figure out where you are going to attach the boost signal line on the engine side, and then determine if you need the metric or standard kit. if you are going with a T splice, then it doesn't matter. get a T-connection at home depot or Lowes to do it.

Standard Part No: 150-1041
Metric Part No: 150-1042

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's been a while but... Thanks Mark! I installed two Auber gauges today. One for EGT which is all hooked up and one for boost which is wired up with power but I have yet to splice the boost line and fit the sender. Doesn't the 300tdi also have a plug on the back on the intake manifold as well? That would certainly be a more out of the way location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post

Carl,
The VNT turbo is not like the 300 tdi turbo at all. it's either reading 0 at idle or it's at 16psi otherwise. Yes, I have a boost gauge. you're going with a 2 1/16" gauge and the VDO's come with a max of 15 or 30 psi. Obviously, you want the 30. You won't tune anything with the gauge though, so don't feel like you're in a rush as a prequisite to this kit. Since this turbo manages the boost itself, you can add this later after it's all in if you want it. I have it just to monitor turbo health, and to when there is any engine problems, I can look at the gauge and know the turbo is ok or not. As an example, when my last turbo failed (whole other story-not turbo's fault) I was able to look at the boost on the highway with smoke billowing out and know the turbo died, as the engine was running and there was no boost. On another occasion, my boost feed line to the gauge slipped off it's attachment nipple. Looking at gauge, I was able to figure it out quickly.

You have some discretion in where you attach is. Mine is using a T splice on the boost line from the turbo to the injection pump. I could have also (and may still at some point) go direct to the intake manifold chamber, as the 2.8 chamber actually has a threaded port on it at the back that is plugged, probably to read boost.

you need to figure out where you are going to attach the boost signal line on the engine side, and then determine if you need the metric or standard kit. if you are going with a T splice, then it doesn't matter. get a T-connection at home depot or Lowes to do it.

Standard Part No: 150-1041
Metric Part No: 150-1042
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Yes, mine has a port on the rear of the intake that I ran my boost gauge hose to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Does it need to be tapped or is it threaded already? I'll take a look this morning.
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is this it? Dennis, what kind of fitting did you use? A metric thread barbed hose adapter? The sender is a bit large so I was thinking of running a hose to the bulkhead and mounting it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4205467364.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	77501  
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

That's the spot. Don't remember the threading, not that it matters, take the plug to Lowe's, find a brass fitting & reduce it to a brass barbed hose fitting & Teflon tape or pipe dope it in, I doubt you'll ever find a reason to remove it.
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's an M12/1.5 Pitch. I found the correct adapter. It's the Metric Male M12 x 1.5 x 1/4" (6mm) - 1.95.
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Ive used that spot also (Mechanical gauge). You can see pictures here.

http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65

Cheers,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi