Distributor Vacum Advance - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

ha true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Just changed the stepper motor...now the idle is ok but it still won't start every couple of times with out giving it some gas??? Shop says ditributer now?? Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Damn I want to know what it was? Did a shop install stepper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

They did...they are really just throwing darts as far as I'm concerned. I can't see how someone can't just say this is the symptom, ok here is the solution??? So now we are on to the VA on the distributer....Some how I get the feeling that may not do it.
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Interested to find out what your issue is.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

I'm interested in what your issue is...My regular mechanic in Colorado is saying the vacum advance should have nothing to do with the starting and it would affect the acceleration, my truck accelerates fine once I get it started....He seems to think it is fuel related, so I guess I'm going to have pressure test done, check the voltage etc...I have already changed the relays, checked the innurtion switch...I just don't know!
Please let me know if you have a break through. I'm on my way to Central America so this is killing my trip, I may have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer???
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Dealer would be a mistake. My truck road fine on the way home. Will drive it more tomorrow. I would hate to think it is the fuel pump since mine is 5000 miles old.
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
JPBrown
James Brown

Well I did some checking around the truck last night and found a few things the shop missed. The fuel pump relays they put in were only half way in and the other relay (not sure what it is, white top same area) was full of water?? It has been raining a ton and I guess water has been getting down in that corner. One of the new fuel pump relays was full of water also.

I also was looking back at the fuel tank area and the line on top of the fuel tank was hissing air, I guess this is the vacum line?? I'm not a mechanic...Anyway I could see where it was supposed to be and reconnected it...dried out the relays and plugs....and it started running fine?? Started it several times..hot cold etc..no problems, I will drive it around today and see how it does. Good luck with yours.
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Would be pissed if it was my fuel pump. Need to drive all day today and see
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
JPBrown
James Brown

Started up, ran great...drove around the block, switched it off, tried to start it, no good...now it will start, but instead of the rpm's going up then settling down around 800, they drop down to 0 then stumble up to 800???

I can't get a fuel pressure test done until Mon. I just can't think of anything else it could be. I thought ignition but it doesn't the other typical symtems. Someone also mentioned the fuel injector temp sensor? They said this could be the reason it is worse when hot??

If you have any revelations before Mon. please let me know.

Thanks
James
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

UPDATE

So it's not the stepper motor. Drove the truck today and am still having issues. Drove for 15 miles no issue then it started again. I would pull up to a light and everything would be fine as I waited for the light to change than after sitting for 15 seconds, the RPM dropped to zero and kicked back to 800. Did that at one light, then another light it stalled but started right back up again but wanted to stall. If I kept my foot on gas it was fine. Drove a bit more and no issue. I don't think it is the ignition module because I have been told the car won't restart if it is that. I am thinking fuel pressure test but I have access to another ECU so I might go that route first.

Driving me nuts.
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
Started up, ran great...drove around the block, switched it off, tried to start it, no good...now it will start, but instead of the rpm's going up then settling down around 800, they drop down to 0 then stumble up to 800???

I can't get a fuel pressure test done until Mon. I just can't think of anything else it could be. I thought ignition but it doesn't the other typical symtems. Someone also mentioned the fuel injector temp sensor? They said this could be the reason it is worse when hot??

If you have any revelations before Mon. please let me know.

Thanks
James
Check all the connections on the ignition coil, make sure they aren't corroded. Sometimes that causes the computer to get a faulty RPM reading.

You can also test the fuel temp sensor yourself with an ohmmeter, uses the same resistance curve as the coolant temp sensor. Can't find the numbers yet though, thought they were in the FAQ, but didn't see them.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

You can also test the fuel temp sensor yourself with an ohmmeter, uses the same resistance curve as the coolant temp sensor. Can't find the numbers yet though, thought they were in the FAQ, but didn't see them.

-Hans
This might as well be chinese. I have no clue about this
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeah I would di-electric grease all connections to the coil / ignition module or move the wires/harnesses around while the engine in running to try and replicate the problem. (Use a stick not your fingers) Sometimes electrical gremlins only happen when a faulty circuit gets moved around when the car is in motion and will not replicate when just idling at a stand still. If you still can't find the problem I would defintely swap out the ECU. I live in Los Angeles and I have 2 extras if you need help. Good luck.

Robert Deniro
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am laughing thinking of poking the engine with a broom stick.

Neil sent you a PM
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am laughing thinking of poking the engine with a broom stick.

Neil sent you a PM
It is British. Sometimes a good whack in the behind is all it needs.

-hans

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will say on a good note the truck drives so much better now that the rear drive shaft was tightened. I still can not believe the shop that did my 60k service and had it in three times for stalling to drive it a ton of miles never did anything about it. That shit shop was........BRITISH CAR SERVICE.
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I will say on a good note the truck drives so much better now that the rear drive shaft was tightened. I still can not believe the shop that did my 60k service and had it in three times for stalling to drive it a ton of miles never did anything about it. That shit shop was........BRITISH CAR SERVICE.
Well, to play devils advocate, it's not something that's easy to spot unless you're specifically looking for it. Most other cars you can just set the parking brake, put in in neutral, and give it a good shake.

Do that in a Defender, and the shaft will still be under tension due to the parking brake design, and won't wiggle at all. You need to use a totally different procedure in our case. Chock the wheels, leave the parking brake off, and put the transfer case in neutral.

-Hans

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am not sure. Second shop got in truck drove it and said WTF and tightened it.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sorry if it was already addressed, but possibly the throttle position sensor? Just another idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, distributor