Distributor springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
mattm
Matthias Moran
1963 109

Distributor springs

Does anyone know a source for distributor springs ?
I want to get some new ones for a NAS 110 as my old ones are slightly stretched.

I know I could get an entire replacement aftermarket distributor for not too much money but I'd rather keep the one that I've got and just replace the springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:10 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
summit, jegs, d&d fabrications come to mind.
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

What makes you think they are stretched? Is one too long so it isn't contacting both posts at the same time? That would be the heavier of the two.
It is supposed to be like that. At least in a Lucas dizzy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2016, 12:38 PM
mattm
Matthias Moran
1963 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
What makes you think they are stretched? Is one too long so it isn't contacting both posts at the same time? That would be the heavier of the two.
It is supposed to be like that. At least in a Lucas dizzy.
In my case, the springs are too long to fully retract the weights so at least one of them definitely needs to be replaced. JEGS and Summit have springs for all sorts of distributors but not Lucas. D and D didn't have any ideas.

However... there are several companies that still make compatible distributors and they must be getting springs from somewhere. (Although I guess there's no guarantee that any of the aftermarket distributors use the same advance mechanism as the original.)
Old August 4th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I've heard you can use the Moroso kits sold at Summit & JEGS... I would suggest some research to double check.
Also found this on eBay... PR Lucas Distributor Springs Lotus Triumph MGB Jag MGA | eBay
Or maybe these guys... Lucas distributor automatic advance springs, Reconditioned Lucas distributors, rebuilt Lucas distributors, recurved Lucas distributors from Distributor Doctor

I think I have a couple trashed dizzies that I could check the springs on if interested.
Old August 4th, 2016, 07:59 PM
mattm
Matthias Moran
1963 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
I've heard you can use the Moroso kits sold at Summit & JEGS... I would suggest some research to double check.
Also found this on eBay... PR Lucas Distributor Springs Lotus Triumph MGB Jag MGA | eBay
Or maybe these guys... Lucas distributor automatic advance springs, Reconditioned Lucas distributors, rebuilt Lucas distributors, recurved Lucas distributors from Distributor Doctor

I think I have a couple trashed dizzies that I could check the springs on if interested.
The RealSteel catalog recommends a Moroso kit so I got one a while ago (it was cheap) but the springs are completely different. Maybe they would fit an older distributor but not the ones used on a 3.9 or 4.2. I think that we have Lucas 35DLM8 distributors. I also saw the eBay listing that you found but again the springs look different and they are not intended for this distributor. I'll give Distributor Doctor a call tomorrow. They seem to be focused on older distributors but might be able to help. If not, I'll PM you to check your used distributors. I guess there's also the option to get a distributor from a junk yard...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor