Distributor Cap Issues!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Distributor Cap Issues!!!

Need help! It appears that my distributor cap has a crack and truck now misfires quite a bit. The thing is I've replaced it several times but the issue keeps returning. This will be the third time. Any ideas on what could truly be causing this and how to rid this issue for good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

where is it cracking at?

I have a pair of them you can have if you want, both slightly used.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Monkeyboy

You've replaced the rotor too, right?

<edit> doh!.....is the "returning issue" the misfire or the crack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

try replacing both cap and rotor with genuine items, when the cap is off check the shaft for play.
as an electronic dizzy can work fine with shot shaft bushes.

Gren
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

You may also want to put a bit of Di-electric (I think that is how you spell it) on the rotor and make sure your clamps that hold the cap on are not unbearably tight.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Hans, thanks for the offer but for now I will pass; currently have two. We're now going to replace the wires.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Now the truck will not start at all, gives the impression that it wants to start but nothing happens??? Took the truck to a mechanic/repair shop but they could not find anything wrong. You can hear the fuel pump/smell fuel so it's getting fuel. I've had some issues in the past when it rains the truck has a hard time starting/will not start. Once it's somewhat dry it starts. When this happened in the past I replace the relays and all was good & yes it rained really bad during Thanksgiving weekend. Yep it's been sitting since then. Any ideas???
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Tried spraying some WD-40 inside the distributor cap? Give it a good spray, then wipe it down. Getting spark at the plugs?

-Hans

Old December 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

We tried spraying in all the know place to help get the truck started but it was a no go!?! Had the truck towed again to a shop that works on Land Rovers. Should have word on Monday good or bad, just need to get the truck rolling again. Will post later on what was going on...
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I bet you put the wires back on wrong.
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Well, I finally got word from the repair shop. They stated the ECU needs to be replaced, yep replaced. Anyone know where I can find one, new or used (repaired and working if used)?
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Have you looked at the connections on the coil? And did you replace the coil wire when you replaced the plug wires? I was having similar issues about a year ago when it rained. I replaced all wires, plugs, distributer cap, and rotor so I can't be sure what really fixed my issue. But I also checked/cleaned/tightened the wires on my coil and used the "new" coil wire that has a big rubber boot to go over the business end of the coil. I like to think that played a big role in fixing my issues when it was wet out.

When your truck ran, did the misfiring go away after it warmed up?

I think I've heard Mike from ECR say here that it's hardly ever the computer that needs to be replaced. That's just a cop out from mechanics that can't really find out what's wrong....
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Monkeyboy

Simple unfrozen caveman accountant here.....but the dealership wahoos tried that "solution" on our D90 before we owned it without success. I'm just glad I wasn't the one paying for it at the time.

Sometimes they forget that clean tight grounds are a nice thing to have

I'd be surprised as well if the ECU is really at fault.

<edit> Wait, you've replaced the ignition amplifier doodad, right?

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Well, my truck is back on the road after weeks in the repair shop, more like over a month...

A number of items had to be replaced and yes it appears the ECU went bad (so they say ) due to water damage/moister/or a power surge. Anyway the truck is running good but only time will tell if it's back to normal because I've only had it since this AM. Also had a few faulty items dealing with the ignition; a little advise, use OEM parts in this area. Anyway, it's good to have my truck back I can tell you that much.

I will be posting a part for sale soon, need to check if the part is really dead. If it's dead I will be posting an ECU for a core price, if it's not dead I will post as a working part. Working/non-working will determine the price being posted. So if someone is looking for an ECU I may have one for sale???
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Good news your D90 is back on the road. One question, how can your ECU go bad? Did it get wet?

Cheers...

Old January 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I hope you got a used ECU. DI or RRC ECUs work and they sell for $100-150 all day long.
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I just need an empty ECU casing, but not any serious need for it. I just want to put the right case on the 4.2 ECU I'm currently using, it doesn't quite fit as nice as I would like with the different mounting tab.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor