Distributerless ignition conversion? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Good info, thanks Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I like this guy's write-up for his Megasquirt installation:

http://www.finkbuilt.com/blog/megasquirt/

An interesting point is that he installed Megasquirt first to replace the distributor using EDIS, then later implemented the fuel injection portion of the system.

So, you could go EDIS to repalce your distributor and still run the Land Rover ECU...

Some quotes from the article re: ignition

Quote:
Update: No ignition table tweaking needed. Tim’s advance map is fantastic. I had a slight mis-understanding about where to set the baseline timing for “limp home mode”. I essentially had the VR sensor 1 tooth off. To correct this in software, I set the “Trigger Offset” parameter in MegaTune to -10. At some point, I need to physically reposition the VR sensor so that “limp home” will be optimal. Once that confusion was cleared up, I was off to the races.
Quote:
So how do I like it?

It’s amazing .

I knew that ignition timing was an important variable in engine performance, but I honestly didn’t expect this much improvement. The motor runs so smoothly throughout the RPM range, it just climbs and climbs. I can’t keep my foot out of it. Totally programmable, solid-state ignition with vacuum (MAP sensor) advance works really well.

Distributors are kind of garbage.

I can’t wait to install the fuel injection.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
It's surprising, I haven't found one single negative comment so far regarding it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion