Distributer cap service tips/questions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST
Distributer cap service tips/questions?

Hello all. I wanted to check in on something. I have a 95 and was having problems with it starting and driving rough, like it was missing a cylinder, or had a bad plug until it heated up. Did a lot of stuff with it and finally determined it was actually the dist cap getting moisture up inside on humid or rainy days. Once the engine heat gets good it usually cooks off the moisture. Well last night we had huge storms with humidity and today my truck would not start. I am going to pull the dist cap and clean it out/treat it but can someone give me some tips as I have never done this before.

1. What do you use to clean the connections that the rotor hits (I was probably going to use rubbing alcohol)?
2. What can I treat the connections with to prevent moisture from continuing to cause this (rarely does my truck run in water other than rain so water proofing is not so much of a goal)?
3. How would one apply the treatment/lube to these connections points?

Thanks in advance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions