Defender Source Forum banner

Discovery II Diesel Conversion?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Roverowner 
#1 ·
So the wife really, really wants a Disco II. I told her I don't care what she gets next, but it either has to be a diesel or a hybrid. :) Something that gets at least 25mpgs. So I've been poking around, and I know that it's not easy or economical, but I wondering if anyone has any experience converting a Disco II to a diesel or know of any east coast shops that do? Disco I's are nice and all, but she needs something newer that is an automatic and has A/C. I looked at the MB MLs, BMW X5, and VW Toureg but they all struggle to get 20mpg. Then I looked at my 300tdi and it got me thinking ... I can get a nice Disco II for around 10K and I'd drop another 10K to get a TDi in it and be happy. The question is can it be done?

#2 ·
Doug (Roving Beetle) is the only one in the states that I've heard of ever trying it.. from what everyone says, its extremely difficult and expensive.

You are much better off getting a very nice D1 or RRC and doing a 300tdi conversion to it.

#3 ·
Frank, while anything is possible, I can not think of ANY shop that could do a proper swap for 10K. You'll have at least that in parts alone. Take Ryans advise and find a clean D1 or RRC. A D2 presents a whole new host of problems. Like I said, anything is possible, it just depends on your budget.:)

#11 ·
#5 ·
check out Red Mountain Rovers. they have a 2004 D2 that they are doing a td5 install on. I think they have had some headaches, but they can let you know what it's like.

I had a 300tdi D1. it was nice but never got better than 22 mpg. that was with lift, arb, and winch.

#10 ·
D2's first hit the market in 1999, making them only 11 years old, therefore ineligible under the 25+ year law.

That being said--Anything's possible... but if you're going through that trouble, might as well just get a nice 110.

#12 ·
There are plenty of DI diesel in the UK at a cost of 1.5 GBP, translating to $2,400.00 but when you add shipping and import headaches , it has to be a real POS for 5k.

NOTE: Canada has 15 yr rule, so, any 95 and under is legal to import.

I just wonder, when they are going to start to overflow here as it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to cross them over

#13 ·
what about running it on natural gas (not lpg) ? i have a 04 D2 here and i'm thinking this mod, cost about 2k down here.

#14 ·
IMHO - if you are going to convert, do it with a 1995 or earlier. Here in AZ, they will want to plug in to your ODB II plug for emissions (I imagine all States have a similar deal). How are you that have done D2 conversions getting around the ODB II issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.