Discount Tire wouldn't mount BFG AT KO2? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:10 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quim, my post may get deleted, but thought you might get a laugh.
Discount Tire on Bower Power Hour - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quit messing with big chains, support your local independent

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:47 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
^^^^What he said!^^^^
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:33 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

It's getting harder and harder to find a decent independent tire shop. The one near me I really liked closed a couple years ago and someone opened one with substituting Z's for S's in the name. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:44 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Quit messing with big chains, support your local independent
it's shameful how the obsession with saving a buck has killed the independent shops. I honestly don't see how any of them survive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:47 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Show me a local tire shop in the ATL area that offers free lifetime rotate & balance on the tires and competitive pricing and I'll start going there.

I've got a crappy little crap tire shop near the house. Good for old crappy tires and you just want to get fixed. But I wouldn't get a new set through them. Heck I worry about getting a puncture just leaving their parking lot.

That said, $10 to get a patch and balance a tire that has obvious sidewall damage and unusual wear, sounds good to me.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Show me a local tire shop in the ATL area that offers free lifetime rotate & balance on the tires and competitive pricing and I'll start going there. I've got a crappy little crap tire shop near the house. Good for old crappy tires and you just want to get fixed. But I wouldn't get a new set through them. Heck I worry about getting a puncture just leaving their parking lot. That said, $10 to get a patch and balance a tire that has obvious sidewall damage and unusual wear, sounds good to me.
you're not getting the point bro. If you want "free" rotations for a lifetime then a national chain is the way to go. But don't expect them to have your back. It doesn't work that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:25 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Buying local or from the little guy is great and I do so when and where it makes sense however tires are one item where I typically look to larger nation wide chains for the following reasons.

1. Road hazard warranty. I travel with my car and chances are that if I get a flat or something happens there is likely a discount tire, Walmart, sams or insert name of evil corp where I purchased said tire in a reasonable distance.

2. Stocking levels. I have yet to find a local tire store that carries tires in the size I want they typically have to order them and they are a week or two out with extra cost attached. In the case of needing a replacement for damage waiting a week or two is not acceptable. Same reason I do not run the cooper tires I like.

3. Tires last years small local shops come and go all of the time or change hands constantly.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I go both ways on this issue as well. It is hard to beat the price and convenience of purchasing tires at Costco with store coupon while shopping and eating there. The time and PITA factor are at play and Costco does a great job at mitigating both. That being said, I'm also a fan of TireRack and other online places drop shipping to my favorite local guy, Don's Automotive. They are also great for the quick patch or plug which occur too frequently driving around here. They also do our race car tires with stick-on weights. Their equipment limitations (18" rim max and won't touch 50 series and lower profile unless you acknowledge a scratched rim is a possibility) don't apply to me.
Last experience at Costco a few years ago was w/ my 4Runner (OEM 265/65R17). Michelin had a price break on the 265/70R17 size (happens to be OEM on the FJ). Wanting the taller profile tire and $150 savings even though Costco's computer said no, Costco had me sign their boilerplate disclaimer and installed the 70 series. I wonder if they still do this.
Jonesy (and others), throw Don's a bone. Good group of guys there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dons automotive.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	128530  
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Ever watch a bird flap diligently into a strong headwind?
Nope but I did try driving the 90 into one.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:42 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Discount Tire on Bower Power Hour - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
Very nice!!

What is even odder is they have no computer record of the install of my tires from 5 years ago, even though I have the receipt in the rover.

------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2015 10:43 AM ------

Quote:
When phrased like that it makes more sense.
The All-Terrain T/A KO2 in the OE size is 123R, so if they are only going by the load index/speed rating then the 15" don't cut it (from a store liability perspective) at 108R (according to BFG they have an R speed rating).
If they were going by the max load rating then they'd be ok by over 2000lbs. You could exceed your D90 GVWR by a ton and still not reach the tires' max load capacity.

Go to back and tell them they are for a D1. Same GVWR but the OE size in the KO are 104 load index.
It was the third store who said they wouldn't sell me the 108 tire. The first two said it was the GVWR.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I just ordered new Michelins from Costco last night because they're on sale. I hope I don't run into the same issue and I hope they let me carry them in because I don't feel comfortable driving on the old tires since they're cracking pretty bad now.
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Quote:
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

So far I haven't had problems with Costco besides that they're really busy. They let me just drop off my wheels to have them mounted and pick up tomorrow or Tuesday. I opted for the LTX M/S2. Even though it's more of a road tire I read on a Tacoma forum some people think they're actually better off-road than the A/T2, plus better in ice/snow and have better tread life. What's odd Costco doesn't list any tires they have as compatible with the D90, but Michelin on their website lists the exact tire I bought at Costco as their only recommended tire for the D90. So I'd just show them what the tire manufacturer lists for your vehicle if the installer had any problems installing a particular tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	128883  
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ltx MS2 is a great tire IMHO. My DD is now on its second set. On a Rover it's only weakness won't matter. On Damp or lightly wet roads they get a military tire style whine.
Long lasting. First set lasted 70k at which point tire noise was so bad they had to go.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That's awesome. I just noticed there's a new version called the LTX Defender M/S. Michelin claims 10% better tread life over the M/S2. It would be cool to have tires that say Defender on them. But it looks like they won't be available in the D90 size until November.

Defender LTX M/S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Here's a review of the new Michelins: Michelin Defender LTX M/S Tire Review AutoGuide.com News

Old September 6th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I think Michelin is the third tire company to use the Defender name for a tire. Interesting that LR does not take issue with their use of the name.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
I think Michelin is the third tire company to use the Defender name for a tire. Interesting that LR does not take issue with their use of the name.
Maybe they're afraid they'll get sued in turn, if they do.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I don't think LR could do anything about anyone using the Defender name unless it was a vehicle. There's lots of products that use the name and a lot I'm sure predate LR's use of the name.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bfg, disco, mount, tire