Disco Tdi, battery keeps dying overnight - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My son has a D2 and after removing the air shock system the air brain kept looking to charge the system. Even though he'd disabled the pump. He finally corrected it by un-doing the ground to the brain for the air system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
I know nothing about discoveries but when I converted my defender to a disco 200tdi I had some wires crossed at the alternator that caused the same issue. Seems like there was an extra connection at the alternator as compared to the 2.5TD I had previously but I dont remember the details. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out...
I'm not sure its something like that as its been fine for years, and the first month I had the car. One day the battery was dead and its been doing it ever since. My father in law and I unhooked the alternator entirely, the draw remained. I believe its rooted on the circuit (under the hood fusebox) labeled w.lift/CDL/something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
My son has a D2 and after removing the air shock system the air brain kept looking to charge the system. Even though he'd disabled the pump. He finally corrected it by un-doing the ground to the brain for the air system.
I don't have air shocks, but I do think my problem might be similar to this. Possibly an accessory or electrical system that I no longer have, but the brain is there.... spider maybe?

-------

Dropped it off with Trevor at British 4x4 service (b4x4s.com) today.
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

got the disco back from Trevor.

The battery is now holding a charge, the windows work (replaced ECU) and the cooling issues appear to have been fixed. He replaced the overflow tank with an opaque cream colored one (to replace the translucent one I replaced the black one that had split). Trevor believes the other one wasn't allowing pressure to build due to a problem between it and the cap. The p-gasket was replaced too. I haven't seen any leaks and it was fine on the 2+ hour drive back from Trevor's shop. (*sidebar* on the way there I could get the temp to creep up without a problem if I was a bit heavy on the throttle on the uphills, not the case this time). Trevor also tightened up some linkages, replaced a u-joint and reinstalled an upside down crossmember.

I think the battery itself is shot having died so many times, so I'll replace that next.

The problem now is... I've lost intermittent wipers, rear wipers and the rear defogger. Which leads me to believe the MFU is now also shot. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
got the disco back from Trevor.

The battery is now holding a charge, the windows work (replaced ECU) and the cooling issues appear to have been fixed. He replaced the overflow tank with an opaque cream colored one (to replace the translucent one I replaced the black one that had split). Trevor believes the other one wasn't allowing pressure to build due to a problem between it and the cap. The p-gasket was replaced too. I haven't seen any leaks and it was fine on the 2+ hour drive back from Trevor's shop. (*sidebar* on the way there I could get the temp to creep up without a problem if I was a bit heavy on the throttle on the uphills, not the case this time). Trevor also tightened up some linkages, replaced a u-joint and reinstalled an upside down crossmember.

I think the battery itself is shot having died so many times, so I'll replace that next.

The problem now is... I've lost intermittent wipers, rear wipers and the rear defogger. Which leads me to believe the MFU is now also shot. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Things like this are why i just bought a 1995 POS civic as a beater.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, disco, ht, tdi