Disco motor into a D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Disco motor into a D90

Can you put a serpentine belt V8 from a 95 disco into a 95 NAS 90? I know you'd have to custom wire the harness...any other problems? is this more trouble than its worth? (cheap motor) I'd be keeping the Disco ECU with its own motor.

Keith
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can. Hippert and calpin both did it.

Why not just use the disco long block with the D90 ancillaries and front cover?
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
Can you put a serpentine belt V8 from a 95 disco into a 95 NAS 90? I know you'd have to custom wire the harness...any other problems? is this more trouble than its worth? (cheap motor) I'd be keeping the Disco ECU with its own motor.

Keith
As long as the motor is pre-GEMS I'm pretty sure it's just plug and play, I think even the ECU's are the same. Going to a serpentine setup is in my future D90 plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes Keith it is plug and play if you keep the ancillaries. I didn't make any wiring changes, and other than being ribbed for having not shortened the alternator cable (for aesthetics) everything just mates up.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. You can slap the auto box in pretty easy too BTW, without doing any center console changes.
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

oh I am building the truck from scratch so I dont have the ancillaries. What would I have to source in order to make it plug and play? What has to be swapped to the new block? Could I just follow each strand back from the component and slice it to an engine harness for a '95 or are there differences in the ancillarries that'd prevent this?

One of the things I love and hate about the rovers is that nothing is simply compatible but with a little effort they can be made to work...most of the time.

Thanks,

Keith
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

It's a real pain to put a serpentine front end on a v-belt motor (crank snout/keyway difference).
It's really easy to put a v-belt system on a serpentine motor (spacer required for longer crank snout).
Putting a serpentine motor, complete, providing it has a distributor...is simple as doing it. It would be better if the Defender wiring harness was available, and the Defender ECU was used as the battery location as well as the fusing locations differ......but this is all pretty minor unless you really feel the need to be "correct"

Other than that the oil cooler lines are different for the serpentine front cover (same as GEMS motor).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Wait, his first post says he has a serpentine belt V8 from a disco so he has all that. All he needs is the alternator and power steering pump from a disco (serpentine) and he's all set. All the connectors are the same, I didn't have to fab anything - not even lengthen any wires.

Oh and the right A/C compressor as well if you have A/C
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Right install serpentine as is. I have everything disco (truck is in the drive), I was going to mod the oil lines to fit the 90 rad.
A/c lines -> Leave the disco half for the compressor and have the shop put the 90 a/c ends on to go with the rest of the a/c system.

Then I'd custom mount the Disco ECU on the dash tray up high to the very right and out of the H2O for wading and find a place to put the fuse box and all, probably on the right wheel well as they are on the disco.

My most pressing issue is the wiring harness. Charles you say if I get a 95 wiring harness this will plug and play with the disco components? Does this include the alternator? Otherwise I'll be splicing strand by strand into a D90 harness which doesnt sound fun.

Lastly, the D90 power steering lines should go into the disco power steering pump, yes?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I believe the wiring will be fine. Mine is a '94 with the stock wiring harness (and ECU) and I had no problems. I did remove my A/C but I can't see you having any problem wiring that up. I am pretty sure I am using the D90 power steering lines (on my todo to replace as a preventative measure). I think the routing is a little tighter than with the vbelt setup, but is not bad.

Now that you mention it, I had to do something different on the oil cooler lines because I remember giving my freshly rebuilt D90 lines to Neil. The engine side is different, but I don't think the radiator side is, so you may be able to use the disco lines if they are good (but getting them rebuilt anyway is a good idea).
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Wait, his first post says he has a serpentine belt V8 from a disco so he has all that. All he needs is the alternator and power steering pump from a disco (serpentine) and he's all set. All the connectors are the same, I didn't have to fab anything - not even lengthen any wires.

Oh and the right A/C compressor as well if you have A/C
Yeah, I Know what he said. It seemed as if there was some confusion in other posts and I'd just given the big picture option.

Basicly it all swaps over (have done this numerous times) other than the oil lines ....which I don't reuse ever......the disco wiring harness will even work fine. It's not likely that it will plug in to whatever other harnesses you have but all the rover plugs come apart and can be reconfigured or you can easily use GM style plugs and do your own thing. THe EFI only needs 2 wires (from the dash harness) to run it and really only 4/5 wires to make it work right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, disco, motor