Disco II Parking Brake Circuit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
aosias's Avatar
aosias
Status: Offline
Alexandra
1995 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,348
Registry
Disco II Parking Brake Circuit

I have a new DVD deck to install in my 03 Disco. Need to connect a wire to the parking brake so that when the vehicle is stopped and the brake is activated my DVD will work. Not sure how to run the wire and where I need to tie in.

Posted on Dweb and haven't had any help over there. Thought someone here mught be able to explain it.

Next I will cry about how to connect my universal steering wheel control thing.

Thanks,
Alex
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
PaulMc's Avatar
PaulMc
Status: Offline
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 90
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I have a new DVD deck to install in my 03 Disco. Need to connect a wire to the parking brake so that when the vehicle is stopped and the brake is activated my DVD will work. Not sure how to run the wire and where I need to tie in.

Posted on Dweb and haven't had any help over there. Thought someone here mught be able to explain it.

Next I will cry about how to connect my universal steering wheel control thing.

Thanks,
Alex

I've cropped the wiring diagram to show just the relevant parts -

Click image for larger version

Name:	LHD Brake Warning Light.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	36121



The wires are commoned at Header C0293 (pins 1 to 4) -

Click image for larger version

Name:	C0293 LHD Header.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	36122


.
__________________
Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I have a new DVD deck to install in my 03 Disco. Need to connect a wire to the parking brake so that when the vehicle is stopped and the brake is activated my DVD will work. Not sure how to run the wire and where I need to tie in.
Do you really want to do this? Most people try to bypass this sort of functionality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
By pass it...
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
The Dro
Status: Online
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,692
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Do you really want to do this? Most people try to bypass this sort of functionality.
x2.

Be careful how you do this... You need to find out if the system either needs a Voltage applied to it or needs to be grounded to complete the circuit.

Most electrical component on vehicles are hot all the time.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM
aosias's Avatar
aosias
Status: Offline
Alexandra
1995 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,348
Registry
Bypass works for me. Just need it connected to something so it will work. So should I tie it into the red or the yellow wire and then use the ground? Currently trying to figure out how to snake my iPod cable from the back of the stereo to the glove box and how to run the GPS antenna. Tempted to put this fnacy unit inthe 110 just because it would be easier to install and run all these cables.

Of course it's almost dark now, all my tools (including flashlights) are in boxes since we are moving and I need to use the truck tomorrow to drive to Denver. So much for a quick swap.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
The PAC TR-7 is the unit you want.
It is a bypass box that will control all those functions. Simple hook up. We use them in all the in dash DVD players we install.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM
The Dro
Status: Online
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,692
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Bypass works for me. Just need it connected to something so it will work. So should I tie it into the red or the yellow wire and then use the ground? Currently trying to figure out how to snake my iPod cable from the back of the stereo to the glove box and how to run the GPS antenna. Tempted to put this fnacy unit inthe 110 just because it would be easier to install and run all these cables.

Of course it's almost dark now, all my tools (including flashlights) are in boxes since we are moving and I need to use the truck tomorrow to drive to Denver. So much for a quick swap.
No, you will burn the unit if you cross the cables... yellow/red are 12v and they don't play well with the ground cable.

I can only assume that when the brake is pressed it will go to ground.

Do you have the schematics of the unit? or model?
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:57 PM
aosias's Avatar
aosias
Status: Offline
Alexandra
1995 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,348
Registry
Thanks Mike. Guess you got scared when I threatened to install it in the 110
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Thanks Mike. Guess you got scared when I threatened to install it in the 110
No, not scared.

Its just that bypassing some of those units is easy and some it is not so easy. The lower end ones you can sometimes just ground or power the "safety" wire. On some units they need a combo of signals done at certain times, so just giving them power or ground will not do the trick. The Alpine units for example require the little computer box, you can't trick them easily. It really depends on the unit and how it is built.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, disco, disco ii

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking Brake Abrooks Defender Technical Discussions 15 September 23rd, 2011 09:57 PM
Parking brake retrofit advice Abrooks Defender Technical Discussions 5 April 13th, 2009 11:39 PM
Parking brake circuit flynn23 Defender Technical Discussions 1 November 29th, 2008 07:28 AM
parking brake switch Campbell Defender Technical Discussions 6 September 20th, 2005 08:45 PM
Parking brake light howellm70 Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 27th, 2004 02:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Copyright