Disco 3.9 into 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Disco 3.9 into 110

Hi guys
I am new to your board but have been reading for quite a bit, good stuff.
Stumbled across an old Disco with low mileage, cheap as hell and I was thinking about pulling parts out of it. Any idea how easily a 3.9 EFI could be plugged into a basic 110 (3.5 carbi) - my main concern being the PCM/loom: what goes what stays?
Thanks
JF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, you have a few options since the engine block itself will just bolt right in.

1. you can just use the engine, and throw an edelbrock manifold and aftermarket carb on top.
2. you can use the long-block and keep the same intake and carb you have now
3. you can convert over the EFI system, just get a wiring diagram for an EFI 3.9 to know for sure what you need. But you will also have to upgrade the fuel system to a higher pressure pump, and add a return line and probably replace a lot of the existing fuel lines.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Hans
Any idea where I can get a wiring diagram? How easy is it to flash a Rover PCM? Fuel is easy, just have to pitch in the fuel system from the Disco in lieu and place of the low pressure carbi system.
Thanks
JF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I'm putting the 3.5 EFI engine and ZF trans from a 1987 RR into a 4cyl 90 right now. It is not too bad so far but I'm far from done
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

The 3.9 has a pretty simple "2nd gen" fuel injection system - for a little more work you'll be much happier than with a carb.
You can find PDF'd copies of the shop manual on Ebay, which will include wiring diagrams. The ECU for the Disco should be fine for use in the D90 - in fact, I thought some people had swapped this ECU into a D90 because it was calibrated for a bit more power....?? (anecdotal, maybe)
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Thanks Jason, this makes me feel better about the idea = I just had to buy a water pump from a Rangie to make sure the electric fans fitted in (cars are stock ex-military so longer fan shaft and heavier pulley like a LOT heavier).

Only point is if I chop up some of the potential sensors (lambda anywhere?) off the Disco, will that affect the PCM?
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Well, you need to keep all the sensors that the PCM/ECU needs to operate the engine properly, or at some point it's not going to meter out the fuel correctly (this could have almost no impact to severe impact). However, if you have the donor vehicle you should be able to drop it in fairly completely. If you break a few sensors, plan a trip to the scrap yard to find the ones you need...

I did an upgrade on a Suzuki Samurai from a 1.3L carb to a 1.6L fuel injection and wow, what a difference -- not just in the increased displacement, but the smoothness of throttle response and no real noticable power loss at altitude. Also, no chance of fuel sloshing and starving the carb on bouncy terrain

The biggest challenge was cleanly splicing in the new ECU with the existing wiring harness... but all the sensors I did retain in their relatively stock location (from a Sidekick).

I have also retrofit a 1979 Jeep J-10 360 V8 with a Holley Pro-Jection aftermarket fuel injection system -- huge difference! Clean, responsive power, actually felt more powerful and more torque (the carb was probably really screwed up) and better mileage. This was even easier to install as there really wasn't much splicing to be done - just add in the new Holley harness and properly tie in power, etc. I did this back in 1997 and drove that truck from Chicago to LA pulling a heavy trailer - ran great.

So, I'm a huge fan of EFI upgrades to non-EFI vehicles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, disco