Disco 200tdi in a 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Disco 200tdi in a 110

Has any one done a write up on installing a Disco's 200tdi in a 110 ? I know the turbo is low on the Disco and higher on the Defender. need details on intake . or any other mods. ( I know the engine mounts are different .)
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I have a LHD defender with a disco 200tdi. You will need a 300 tdi exhaust/intake manifold, this will relocate the turbo in a position for steering issues. You will need a extra turbo hose as well, but it is all pretty straight forward once you have the engine mounts and new manifolds. Good luck! I have one for sale by the way
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Brian what do you have for sale ?
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Disco 200tdi set up for LHD with everything needed, including motor mounts, radiator inter cooler the whole nine. Sorry for the high jack
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:01 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Chris, we just dod a LHD conversion to a RHD 110 with Disco 200, and as Brian states- 300 intake/exhaust/turbo, but we were able to reroute the exhaust and keep the original mounts.

Also, as Brian, I have a complete 200 for sale, but it is an original factory Defender setup, so no issues for LHD- still in the donor chassis. System is complete from rad to exhaust, and all factory- PM if interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:21 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
I know it's not the "proper" way to do it, but I saw a disco 200 tdi installed with a non-stubby defender r380 and it was a nice looking install. They scrapped the long fan tunnel and installed new motor mounts further forward on the frame.

It pulled the whole motor forward which made it easy to get to everything and the disco turbo set up cleared the steering with no issues. I was told this was a typical install in parts of Europe that do lhd and disco tdi conversions like is being discussed.

It kills the "drop in" part of a 200 swap, but it was a cool install.

I can try to get more details and pictures if anyone is interested.

Just a thought.
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
Has any one done a write up on installing a Disco's 200tdi in a 110 ? I know the turbo is low on the Disco and higher on the Defender. need details on intake . or any other mods. ( I know the engine mounts are different .)
Chris:
As stated by others, you'll need 300TDI exhaust manifold and turbo, but there is more involved.

To do it right, you'll need a 300TDI dipstick that has to be machined to fit the 200TDI block adapter. Then use the 300TDI inlet manifold as well.

Other issues to overcome are the PS pump and alternator blocking the intercooler routing and then those hard as hell Rover motor mounts that pass every shake and rattle onto the chassis where it shakes the dash, steering wheel, and anything else whether it's bolted down or not. The other thing that needs to be overcome is the fact that the left stock motor mount is way too close to the 300TDI down pipe exit... do I smell burning rubber from excess heat on the stock mount...

To solve these problems, I made custom brackets for the 200TDI engine to use the robust Mercedes power steering pump and mount a new 200AMP alternator on the other side of the engine. This allows clear routing of the intercooler hoses verses some jack legged twist and turn routing.

Right now am in the process of installing an Isuzu 4JB1-T into a 110 and made a bolt on set of motor mounts last weekend that use the hydraulic filled Mercedes mounts that absorb most all the engine vibrations.

When the 4JB1-T project is off my lift around April 1st, then our 200TDI powered Swiss LHD 110 wagon goes up on the lift for a Mercedes OM617 Conversion. BUT before I pull the engine will make a set of bolt on mounts that use the hydraulic Mercedes mounts and have them reproduced at our machine shop, so people like you won't have their dental fillings pop out of their mouth any longer from all the shaking from the Rover motor mounts... These custom Mercedes mounts will be positioned with sufficient clearance away from the down pipe (when the 300TDI manifolds are bolted to the 200TDI engine) so it can come straight down and not have to be angled back away from the stock mount.

You didn't state which engine the 110 had, so there could be other complications as this post is based on the assumption that you are using a short belhousing 5 speed with the Rover 4 cylinder belhousing and the frame has Land Rover 4 cylinder motor mounts up to but not including 300TDI.

Hope this info helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A disco 200 tdi can be installed changing nothing as far as the manifolds go, you just need the later td5 style non sliding steering shaft,whole lot easier/cheaper than these other options. Whoops was supposed to keep that secret

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 1st, 2014, 08:43 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Whoops was supposed to keep that secret
Share and share alike, swearengen...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Share and share alike, swearengen...
Swearengen was a masochistic pimp, I put the information out there, how is that applicable ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

any one know where to source a later td5 style non sliding steering shaft in the US ?
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:01 PM
roverhaggis
Rick
1964 109 5-door

Part number is FF003638 for the Steering Column Shaft

Part number for the Steering Column Shaft is FF003638.

Also needs the turbo intake side rotated up a little to clear the shaft.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:19 AM
roverhaggis
Rick
1964 109 5-door

Famous Four PN was given in previous post

...correct P/N is 500031.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:45 PM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

How much does the intake have to be tweeked? Anyone have pictures?
Ed
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
Hi

You haven't mentioned if you've a LHD or what gearbox is in the 110....but....mine is an LT77 gearbox and I assume you've a LHD.

If you have a look here you'll see a step through whilst keeping the original Disco turbo. For the steering column just disconnect invert it and the steering knuckle will not touch the original 200tdi turbo set up.

200TDi into Defender - some useful info - by Glencoyne Engineering

On my install (on a LHD 110 ex army with manual steering from an normally aspirated engine) that I bought I have a 300tdi turbo and manifold. (Take care if you have the same and go this route as the person who installed mine,didn't check and the steering UJ bolt cut through the turbo inlet hose resulting in blown turbo seals after sucking in dust).

You can use a normal 2.5td dipstick in this application.

Standard engine mounts remain.

If you also read here you'l get an idea of what additional parts are required........mine is also missing the the 4 bolt kit from engine to bell housing. I have a rear crankshaft leak due to flex...another job for me to make good.

https://www.steveparkers.com/convers...r-land-rovers/

Although you might think these parts are expensive they are a proper fit rather than what the company that did my install has carried out.

I say this as my friend has just used this kit,is in the final stages and it really does look professional.

If you need pictures of my install I can post....just ask.

All the best.

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 200tdi, disco, tdi