Disco 2, Dash warning lights Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Disco 2, Dash warning lights Problem

In my 04 Disco, recently the ABS, Traction Control, and Hill Decent, light have came and stayed on. its done it 2 times today and once last week, to solve it i just shut the car off and they go away but today they came back again. after it came on again i went into a store and when i started it back up the lights were gone. Any ideas before i bring it to a shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=amigos

Robert Deniro
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

hate to be the purveyor of bad news but you've been affected with what we Disco II owners call the dreaded "Three Amigos". It could be a number of things from a bad wheel sensor to the ABS modulator.

You can do a search on the Discoweb and find tons of information but in the end, you'll need a service facility that can pull the codes from the system to diagnose where the fault lies.

Best of luck- I cross my fingers everyday that mine doesn't get this affliction!

Cheers,

CARL
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
thanks, doesnt sound too bad, i was so excited that my check engine light went away after like a year of being on, then like 2 days later this happened
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

John,

Sounds like shuttle valve sticking. First thing, change
your brake fluid, generously.
If it's not enough, you can service your ABS pump,
eventually change some electrical parts in it. Usually
a good cleaning of the pump and new brake fluid
is enough, i've done it.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Don't guess - get the codes pulled somewhere.

I found an independent shop who pulled the codes from the truck for $50 (and reset them after I fixed the issue). Mine was just a bad ABS sensor in the hub (it had rubbed somewhere and this caused an intermittent short). Pretty easy fix and not too costly for the new sensor - I could have even repaired the existing one for nothing but decided to replace.

Been over a year since then and no more 3 amigos for me so far.

Also note that the PS ABS sensor line (goes from Dash/ECU down to wheel hub) has some known failure issue associated with it - not sure if this is because it routed too close to heat in the engine bay or something else. But mine had already been replaced by the dealer as I noticed when I was in there looking around. You may want to check this as well.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, disco, ht, lights