Disco 1 Low Beams Burning Out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2016, 09:37 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Disco 1 Low Beams Burning Out

My son's D1 has had two headlight low beams burn out in the past couple weeks. I'm thinking this might be a grounding issue. We're going to start by cleaning up the battery ground connection to the block. Any other suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2016, 09:49 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
yes do check the grounds, the headlight socket used to burn on p38s and d1s due to improper contact, clean the contacts make sure they have the pressure tabs make good contact and trace the ground to the body, and clean..use dielectric grease to avoid further contamination.
btw the contacts are a pain to clean if not removed from socket.
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:50 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
yes do check the grounds, the headlight socket used to burn on p38s and d1s due to improper contact, clean the contacts make sure they have the pressure tabs make good contact and trace the ground to the body, and clean..use dielectric grease to avoid further contamination. btw the contacts are a pain to clean if not removed from socket.
thanks C$

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2016, 01:40 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
We sanded the surface points to clean metal on the ground wires we could find and replaced the Headlight bulb yesterday. We noticed the main ground wire was a copper bradded job that has turned light green. I was touching a fuel line as it rested in the chassis so I decided to cut a piece of old rad hose to sleeve it. Fingers crossed no new electrical gremlins.

Old January 18th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Dealing with the same situation myself... even replaced the pigtail and still having the same issue
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:48 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
What worries me is the grounds didn't really appear corroded. Did you get the connection behind the coolant tank? We need to go back now and paint over the connections before they do start to corrode.

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I hadn't touched the grounds, which one are you referring to? On the chassis or body?
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:25 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I hadn't touched the grounds, which one are you referring to? On the chassis or body?
Both. My understanding, which Carlos confirmed, is the D1's have historically had problems flair as a result of the ground wires corroding at the connection points. Probably worth a check.

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Good call... going to put a new "performance" harness in, will check then

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions