directional switch install/pulling steering wheel? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

directional switch install/pulling steering wheel?

I need to replace the directional switch on my '97 d90. It's really loose and my high beams are on all time because it's so loose. It looks like I'll need to pull the steering wheel off. Has anyone out there done this before? Do I need to use a gear puller?
Any and all tips appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If its like the 94s you only need to remove 4 screws from under the steering column and it should separate into a 2 (top/bottom). Then you can remove the switch. You can get them at RN and a few other places.
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I ordered a switch yesterday from RDS. There is actually a difference between the '94-'95's and '97's but, it only looks like the connectors are different. By looking at the picture of the part, http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender.htm and at the '96 repair manual, the switch is mounted to a bracket that slips over the steering column. Can I un-mount the switch from the bracket and swap just the switches or do I have to pull the steering wheel and remove the entire bracket and switch assembly?
Thanks,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No I think you can just pull the switch off the bracket. It's a pretty easy swap. And now that you say it your right the only difference between the 2 is the connector.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I hope you're right Mike! It seems a bit foolish to have to pull the steering wheel to change out the directional switch.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:15 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I honestly can't remember if you NEED to pull the steering wheel, but for some reason I recall having to do it on my '97 when I replaced my switch (turn stalk). Pulling the wheel is mega easy. Pull off the rubber face shield. Mark the center of the wheel with a pen or a paintstick. Undo the large nut. Then use a rubber mallet and knock on the back side of the steering wheel. Hold onto it as it will come right off after a few whacks. Then undo the console bolts from the underside of the column. It's super easy. Just a little unnerving...
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric_S
I hope you're right Mike! It seems a bit foolish to have to pull the steering wheel to change out the directional switch.
I changed out my turn switch last year. It's easiest to just pull the wheel. Mine wouldn't budge so I used a wheel puller I got for like $7.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I just replaced my switch. I had to pull the the wheel as the direction canseller? has to go over the end of the shaft! If you remove the swith from the bracket BE CARFUL!! there are little nylon pads that are on springs! I did so on a d 110. I am not sure if they are the same?? I orderd mine from rds & had to replace the bracket as my wiper switch did not work on the one supplied!
Peter
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:20 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

while we are on the topic-why is the 97 switch twice as much as the 94 95 switch?they both look the same and do the same-i know the end plug is different.do you think you could by a 94 switch and use the end off your 97switch?i think to save the 97 owners at least a $100 i might try it.the 94 95switch has 8 wires at the end of the plug how many does the 97 have
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If anyone is interested, I have a spare head lamp switch for a 97 that I would sell....
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Quote:
Originally posted by dmarchand
It's super easy. Just a little unnerving...
You've hit the nail on the head Dave.

I received the new switch yesterday and will attempt the switch (ha, get it) on Saturday.

Matt- I'll see how many wires are on the '97 switch and post back here. If you look at the picture George posted on RDS of the switches, the one in the middle is for the '97. It looks like the blue collar that goes around the steering column is different too.

Thanks for all the helps guys!
Eric
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

eric the blue collar is just turned a little in the rds pic.the collars are the same. i really thing its just the plug.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

FYI
The switch has 8 wires
blue-white, blue-orange, purple, purple-black, blue, green-white, green-brown, green-orange.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch, wheel