Dipstick problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 18th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491
Unhappy Dipstick problem

Well, I got the head gasket job done on the 90 finally. Managed to find where everything seemed to fit and all. It even started on the first try. Woohoo! It spit smoke, the rockers clattered like crazy, and it thumped a bit at first but it started.

The only problem I have now is I can't get the oil dipstick back in. I goes about 1/4-1/3 of the way in then stops and will go no further. We did not remove the tube when replacing the head gaskets but it did get rotated down out of the way when it got bumped. We rotated it back up to where it was and now we're stuck. It's not a show stopper right now but I'm fairly sure in the future I'm gonna want to check my oil level.

Any ideas?

A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar, it'd be far too busy doing something important somewhere for someone - Top Gear
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Matt Hurst
you can pull the dip stick holder out to see if that got bent or if something is clogging it

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
I did the same exact thing, not to worry, you just need to rotate the tube back into place. Just wait until you fire up the engine, the aluminum block expands at a faster rate than the steel tube, so when that happens it will move a lot easier for you.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions