Dipstick oil leak 300tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2014, 04:09 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Dipstick oil leak 300tdi

Dipstick was pushed up and leaking oil out of the top today after a 10 minute drive. Did get the engine to operating temp- about 200. Which is a bit warm for the truck- typically hovers around 185.

Can oil pressure build up enough to cause the dipstick to become unseated or is this user error?

I think my timing is off- white smoke with a cold motor and on downhill. No more black smoke than usual for take off or start. Nothing else significant comes to mind. Slight coolant link since I replaced the worn lower radiator hose. Idles rough for the first 20 seconds of starting but then settles down.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
that goes straight into the sump, which should only have very minor pressure. that dipstick has a little rubber o-ring to seal it. maybe yours fell out. if there's a lot of oil coming out, you have a pressurized crank case which needs to be addressed. that could be caused by several things to include head gasket, worn piston rings, exhaust valves out of adjustment, and engine timing. I've never seen pressurized oil out of the dipstick. are you talking about large amounts of oil?

if the o-ring is there, and you are sure that the dipstick was sitting prior to running, you need to figure that pressure out. that would take a bit of pressure to push the dipstick out. I'm not sure how far out is either.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:38 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
O-ring is still there. There was oil running down the side and then along the rubber hose next to the dipstick- the top intercooler hose. It was enough out that the yellow plastic part, and about 1/4 inch of the dipstick metal itself was exposed.

It only leaks coolant after its been running. So now I wonder if that system is getting over pressurized too.

I think the timing is off because of the white smoke when the motor is cold and going downhill. I don't have any excessive smoke otherwise right now. I've been chasing some other oil leaks down too- around the intercooler area. It was completely rebuilt a year ago when the motor was installed so I can't imagine its the head gasket or worn piston rings. Not sure how to check the exhaust valves.

Not sure if it was seated correctly. But I'll check it before I run it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 04:56 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
the exhaust valves is just a valve adjustment, which should be a frequent routine maintenance item. I'm just throwing all options out there for you to consider and check. if you have an exhaust valve that is adjusted too tight, it could be very slightly open when it's supposed to be closed and holding pressure in, thereby allowing a small amount of exhaust gas (pressurization) into the valve rocker cover which is direct access by several ways to the sump.

are you consuming an unusual amount of oil as well?

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:07 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Not consuming a lot of oil at all. Which always surprises me considering how bad my driveway looks.
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
take your oil fill cap off and cover hole w napkin. if it blows off you have a problem.

Old April 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I made that error myself once, didn't push the dipstick back in position well after an oil check.
A couple of weeks later components close to dipstick and under bonnet were a little bit greasy but nothing serious.
Degreased area, change dipstick o-ring and adjust your valves. Run it for a few days and check dipstick position and surrounding areas.

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi