Dim dash lighting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Dim dash lighting

I replaced my unreliable stock temperature gauge with a VDO unit. The new unit works well but unfortunately, all of my dash lighting (including the backlight behind the clock) has dimmed. You might think that it is out completely, but it's not. It's just very, very dim. The grounds, I believe, are okay. My only guess is that the VDO's backlighting is drawing more amperage than the other gauges and sucking all of the power up.

I was thinking of installing a resistor inline to the gauge's DC feed, but this is just a stab in the dark, no pun intended.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd first check that the dimmer switch didn't get unplugged while you were working on things. It will default to the dim setting when unplugged. I have never had any issues with dash brightness when installing VDO gauges.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:46 PM
mikeybob2@msn.com
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880

Registry
Hey Chris.. Same thing happend to me on my 94 AA Yellow D-90... It was the dimmer switch.. reconnected and all was fine Mike... Ladco Houston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybob2@msn.com
Hey Chris.. Same thing happend to me on my 94 AA Yellow D-90... It was the dimmer switch.. reconnected and all was fine Mike... Ladco Houston
Which one is the dimmer switch? The one with the little circle on it on the lower left hand side of the dash ? I've got two switches there, both of which don't move...
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, one is dome light switch and the other is the dimmer switch for the dash. They are stiff even from the factory, but if they haven't been used they may be really difficult to move now. squirt a little electrical cleaner on them and try to move them. Anyway, the wires may have fallen off the one with a picture of what looks like a clock on it, and if they are not connected, the dash will default to dim.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Chris,

As a point of reference, I replaced the stock water temp gauge on my NAS 110 with a VDO and in my case the new VDO guage was much brighter, but with no change to existing brightness of the remaining guages. The new guage light was connected to the existing circuit so it is 'dimmable' along with all the other guages. To get it to be at about the same brightness level of the rest of the guages I installed a resistor in the line to the light of the new guage. This is sort of a reverse issue than what you are dealing with, but in the event you get to this point this might be a solution.

Rich K.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:07 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Chris,

I know it's not an answer to you question but have you considered LED replacements? A guy I know locally replaced all interior and dash lights with LED and is very pleased with it.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

That is what I am doing during my rebuild. I am curious though, do you retain the dim feature when you switch to LED's? I didn't think you would, but I seem to remember someone saying theirs still dimmed with the switch. Mine don't currently, but I only have half the gauges installed, so I am not sure if I have not yet connected something that needs to be connected...
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
That is what I am doing during my rebuild. I am curious though, do you retain the dim feature when you switch to LED's? I didn't think you would, but I seem to remember someone saying theirs still dimmed with the switch. Mine don't currently, but I only have half the gauges installed, so I am not sure if I have not yet connected something that needs to be connected...

I'm sorry but I dont know. I need to go see my friend and find out. On my truck I dont have a dimmer switch but my friends truck does.
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
I'd first check that the dimmer switch didn't get unplugged while you were working on things. It will default to the dim setting when unplugged. I have never had any issues with dash brightness when installing VDO gauges.
Bingo. That was it! Thanks so much. It's nice to be able to see my gauges once again.

The VDO gauge is still much brighter than the others but I'm not sure if it's worth installing an in-line resistor on that.

Crappy spade connectors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, ht