DII pinion flange question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

DII pinion flange question

My buddy has an 04 DII with a roto flex. We are gonna convert it and were wondering if the pinion flange for the front diff will work on the rear. Basically can we just buy a flange for the front and all is good. Then he can get a new shaft and presto. I am 99% sure they are the same splines etc. but want to make sure. Btw anyone have one laying around they wanna sell?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
My buddy has an 04 DII with a roto flex. We are gonna convert it and were wondering if the pinion flange for the front diff will work on the rear. Basically can we just buy a flange for the front and all is good. Then he can get a new shaft and presto. I am 99% sure they are the same splines etc. but want to make sure. Btw anyone have one laying around they wanna sell?

Thanks.
Others here will be able to answer your question far better than me but I would recommend that you get in touch with Randy Williams @ British Boneyard (usedroverparts@yahoo.com)...I picked up a kit from him that had a rear DS and flange. I am sure he will sell you just the flange as well
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
FWIW DII roto-flex's don't fail like they do in a D1. They stay at the same angle regardless of the height of the suspension. Also, I would much rather replace a rotoflex on the trail than a u-joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks for the info. Ultimately he is wanting a double cardon shaft in the rear as he is dealing with some vibration he says. So therefore he needs to convert the roto flex to a u-joint.

He has an RTE 3inch lift I think. Not sure.
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I doubt that will fix his vibration, unless he has isolated the vibration to that drive shaft. I would advise that he pulls the rear drive shaft and drives it to see if the vibration goes away.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

The rotoflex is not causing his vibration, a u-joint conversion may enhance the vibration. I am well over 3" with my rotoflex with no vibration. Since he has an 04, do what Jimmy said and yank the rear shaft, lock the t-case and isolate the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I told him to do that exact thing and remove the shaft and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

IT sounds like a drive shaft vibration as it vibrates on the highway when he is off the gas then settles out when he is back on it. Could be a front shaft issue but he replaced the stock one with a tom woods not to long ago.

I always thought roto flex's on discos had to be replaced. Was unaware DII's are better.

Glad I asked.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post

IT sounds like a drive shaft vibration as it vibrates on the highway when he is off the gas then settles out when he is back on it. Could be a front shaft issue but he replaced the stock one with a tom woods not to long ago.

I always thought roto flex's on discos had to be replaced. Was unaware DII's are better.

Glad I asked.
Could also be the diff, an axle shaft, or any other number of things. I've seen all sorts of weird things cause vibrations.

A DII rear suspension has radius arms, so the rotoflex end of the drive shaft is always at the same angle, which it straight. The u-joint at the transfer box does all of the angle changes. A D1, on the other hand, definitely needs a u-joint conversion if the vehicle is used off road.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:59 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

How many miles on the vehicle? I'm at 160k with a stock roto, they last a long time. When's the last time he's had the wheels balanced?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Good point. I told him the same thing about the rear arms.

He also has an odd noise coming from the rear somewhere. Could be related.

Hard to say.
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My guess is some fucked up spider gears in the rear diff, or the rear carrier has been wallowed out by the cross pins in the diff.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Drain the fluid and check for metal shavings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions