DII 300TDI Install... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

DII 300TDI Install...

I know this is a Defender site but I also know a few of you guys have experience w/ TDI swaps. I was thinking of doing one w/ my 2001 DII and basically want to know what a pain in the a** it is and if anyone has ever done it before.

I appreciate any ideas or help you can give...

Cheers, Anthony

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The DII never came with a 300 TDI so you will not be able to do a factory like install.

If I were looking to install a Land Rover Diesel into a DII I would look for a half cut from a TD5 DII
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I thought 99 and 2000 DII were 300Tdi.

There is a guy on DWEB who had a 300Tdi but not sure if it was DII or DI
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I think 300Tdi are up to 1998, after that it's Td5.
Never heard of 1999 or 2000 disco, unless it's a
special order i guess.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by APaden
I know this is a Defender site but I also know a few of you guys have experience w/ TDI swaps. I was thinking of doing one w/ my 2001 DII and basically want to know what a pain in the a** it is and if anyone has ever done it before.

I appreciate any ideas or help you can give...

Cheers, Anthony

I built a 300 tdi D1 with a 5 speed. that was fun.
I wouldn't personally do a D2 with a 300 and an auto. It would be far too sluggish for my tastes.
Think 0-60 in about 20-24 seconds (no really, I'm not making that up).
Put in a bigger diesel like the one that was on here a while back with the Cummins.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

If you want to be different, drop a 572 in there instead. Having just driven a 90 with a 300 and an automatic, I couldn't begin to imagine what that set up would be like in a D2. I drive a D2 daily, and the 4.0 is way too slow....a 300 in there would be boring. Just my opinion however. Good luck with the build!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I think Revor put a TD5 in a DII. I have not done anything like that so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that a TD5 and an R380 (to avoid the electronically controlled ZF auto trans) from a similar year DII wreck in the UK would be the only really practical way of doing it.

Ron
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Keith put a TD5 in a D1 with a R380 and a 4.6 into a DII with an auto, if I remember correctly. Not that it matters as I think he can put just about any engine in a Rover. I drove the TD5 truck and it's might nice even in stock tune. I agree with Dave, go get a front half of a DII TD5 if you want a diesel.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What are the D.C. rules on emissions tests and engine swaps? Each state is different. Likewise, you would be disabling the OBD II system. Do some research on these items if you haven't already.

Save yourself the inevitable hassle and buy an AZ '95 disco and convert it if that is what you want.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

Thanks for all the input!!!! I dont know if I am going to roll that way but if I do I will be sure to keep everyone informed of the build!!!

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
anthony I would just call DMV and see what they say. Generally speaking though i think if it is OBDII you can't mess with it. OTOH they told me if I put a diesel in my '84 then it will be exempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APaden
Thanks for all the input!!!! I dont know if I am going to roll that way but if I do I will be sure to keep everyone informed of the build!!!
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Just for the record:
300 tdis have been stuffed in a few deefers and D1's in my shop along with a 200 TDi in an 88. and a few other "improvment engines" over the years.
I have:
TD5 in a D1
300 in my 110
5.0 l in my other D1 (the only one with an Auto)
5.0 Ford in the 109
A 110 with a 300 is "tolerably slow" but on my trip last week through Southern Colorado and Northern NM I can count a coulpe time when I wished I had a 6BT Cummins in the truck.
A D2 and a 300 would be outragously slow and Mike is being mighty generous on the 0-60 times.

Do a TD5 if you can, it's just hoot to drive!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
J
5.0 Ford in the 109

We did a Ford 5.0 with a NV4500 and a Dana 300 into an 88 once.
What a fun and scary ride that thing was!

Keith,
I've been tossing around the Dodge/MB sprinter van V6 diesel idea into a Defender.
Any thoughts??

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I built a 300 tdi D1 with a 5 speed. that was fun.
I wouldn't personally do a D2 with a 300 and an auto. It would be far too sluggish for my tastes.
Think 0-60 in about 20-24 seconds (no really, I'm not making that up).
Put in a bigger diesel like the one that was on here a while back with the Cummins.
Not to hi-jack this thread but...
Have any of you considered using a variable vain turbo?
The main problem (besides displacement) with the 300Tdi is the turbo. IMO if you use a variable vain turbo there will be little to no lag before 30 mph that is felt with the 300. My Granddad owns a turbo company that my uncle and cousins now run. Their turbo has used variable vain technology since the '70s. I considered doing the 300 Tdi swap with my D110, but my 3.9 runs all too well to consider the expense.

Aerocharger
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Have a DII going together at the shop right now with TD5 and Auto. The stock auto in those diesel trucks was an electronic shift which can stir the power out of the engine in a more similar manner to the manual transmission 300tdi.

There are many different ways to stir power out of the different 4 cyl diesel engines for Land Rover. But it is not always everyone's 'cup o' tea'

And there is something to be said of the raw power of a 6bt. When there is work to be done.

Regardless it is the details to any project that make the difference in its viability when completed. And perception of the intended operator is always important to deal with up front as well. You can cut paper with a swiss army knife. But a pair of siscors might be a better choice.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Right Jim. That 110 we did with the 2.8 and the auto was one of the nicest driving rover diesels we have had yet (thanks for the help). The owner loved it which was the point. He wasn't in a hurry and he always got where he wanted to go. He didn't care much for the 300 but that install was doomed from the start.

Most of the other auto conversions we have done are all 2.8's and very sucessfull. so maybe a little extra displacement and the variable vane (and a bucket full o'$$) are the key.

We have a LWB range rover with an auto, and it is really nice to drive, not terribly quick but gets along fine on the hwy once it is up to speed. My ishatbox is definately a little better with the 5spd. Not quite as heavy as a disco or LWB, and it has had a little(?) tweakage done.

As for the DII. I'd leave that alone. Messing with OBDII will come back to haunt you sooner or later.

We have a sprinter in the junkyard (looks a little out of place with all the series rigs). Was going to stuf the motor in a 110 and make the box into a trailer for the bikes.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can do an electric shift Hp 22 in the RRC LWB auto to stir the power up more better. I've done a couple now after M&D paved the way for me. Jackson pioneered it, I followed. It makes a big difference. Pretty easy really. Costs a bit $ though. Still waiting for someone to put the money up for me to convert a P38 RR with 2.8 pwrstrk and electric shift. Them bells and whistles just don't scare me I guess.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'd love to mess with a P38, but unless It's someone from a state that has not yet complied with the clean air act shite it's kind of pointless (not being able to pass OBDII emmisions). Not sure where that's all going to go and how long the states that ignore it are going to be able to continue to do so.

As for the LWB. It goes just fine. I was driving it yesterday after this conversation and decided that it really is quite nice. It's no rocket, but it's not meant to be. People who jump in a 2.5 liter diesel and expect it to rip are not really appreciating the thing for what it is. It can be made to rip for sure but then you get a short lived, uneconomical, fussy ride. Might as well have left the V8 in it.

The electronic shift sure is nice though. Will look forward to playing with that.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just title the D2 as a 94 D1 and your OBD problem is solved! [img]images/smilies/happy.gif[/img]
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I liek the idea of the OM 612 I5 diesel in a defender.. Pretty snazzy, but I think they are all electronic.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi