difficult to shift my 94... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

difficult to shift my 94...

I have a '94 D90 w/ a manual transmission (R-380). It seems latelly that it's getting more difficult to shift. If I shift quickly, from gear to gear, I get resistance and feel almost like something is grinding. It comes out of gear fine. The resistance occurs when going into the next gear. If I shift to the point of resistance and then hold there for a second, then it slips into gear--but if I force it it grinds.

Also, to get it back into first I have to be at a complete stop. I know there is a safetly mechanism that won't let you shift into first if you're going over a certain speed, but I have to be at a dead stop.

I checked my clutch fluid and the resevoir was a little low, but I toppped it off and the problem remains.

Any ideas? Please help. Hope that made sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You need to use that real little pedal all the way on the right when shifting.
Seriously though, When I stop and want to shift to first I always shift into 2nd before going to 1st. I was always told it slows the gears down enough to shift to 1st. What that means I have no idea but it sounded good and works for me.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Another possibility is that your snychros could be on their way out. How many miles on the R-380? In fact, are you sure it's an R380? While I realize that some 94's are fitted with them it was my understanding that most arrived with the LT77? I'd be surprised if the tranny is under 90K that the issue would in fact be your snychros.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If its the old one, check with your local dealer. They may still have to honor the recall swap out for it. When we bought our D90, it had 90k on it and I was suprised to see that after out first trip to the dealer with it, they did the recall replacements on the battery and one other thing as well if I recall.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Also check your tranny fluid, if it is low put some synthetic ATF in and it should help out.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

The tanny fluid is right where it ought to be. And, it is the R380 tranny. It has about 115,000 on it.

So, you guys' trannys don't have this problem? You just push in the clutch and you shift straight and fast from 1st to 2nd w/o any resistance? (by "fast" i'm refering to moving the shift lever, not engaging or releasing the clutch)
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

My R-380 has about 90K on the clock and so far it's doing fine. Although, once in great while I'll experience a little resistance going from 2nd to 1st. In that case, I just move from 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd and it always lets me back into 1st.

With 115K on your tranny some of the snychros could be going out, plus if you're not the original owner it might have been "mistreated" as well. Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

However, if it is the snychros you'll know it! You'll find yourself unable to shift in or out of gear. This happen to me on an old Bronco II. I was traveling to E. Oregon on I-84 when I decided to pull off for gas. Well, when I went to down-shift from 4th it wouldn't budge. I pushed on the gear shift until I bent it! Not that it really mattered, but nonetheless, I had to drive all the way back to Portland from Cascade Locks in 4th gear, in 5 O'clock traffic! People were giving me the finger left and right all the way home. It sucked.
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Angocat
Anders Larsen
1989 110" V8 SW

If its not your Synchros there are worn out, a good guess would be a leaking/worn Slave Cylinder. You said the resevoir was a little low
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:21 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

Since my fluid was a little low, I crawled under to look lor leaks. There is fluid dripping from my slave cylinder. It was replaced less than a year ago, so I'm taking it back to the shop where the service was performed--they warranty work for 1 year. I'll let you guys know if the slave cylinder was the only culprit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions