Differential torque - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:51 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
he doesn't need set-up races or contact pattern checking if all he is doing is putting in new bearings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_Laconi View Post
The revelation came from an actual torque value and location of shims that need to be replaced. None of which are specified on the manual. If i dont know what "preload shims" are, i will not understand, just reading the manual, where they are located. The "preload shims" on my pinion are more like thick ass washers, so i consider them more like spacers. I didnt know what they were called. I apreciate the help, but if you have no time, dont feel obligated...
The torque values are in the manual. Section 6, as stated in the instruction quoted above. That is where I got the number above.

To understand how the manual works... The sketch posted above has a "54" with an arrow to the shims. The "54" is referring to instruction #54 in the manual which is telling you to install the pre-load shims.

The "general" problem people are having is your negative attitude towards them, after they have taken time out of their day to help you. If that is how you treated people in real life you would get punched in the face a lot.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Hey Gabriel,
One thing I might suggest.. Take a look at this video. It's a pretty detailed walk through of what your trying to do. Given it's on a Dana 30 but he explains the concepts and the tools needed very well. The fact that it's a dana 30 doesn't really matter since the diff setup would be basically the same as the rover diff. Different tolerances obviously but same principles with setting up the bearings. This dude is also pretty funny.

Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Gabriel_Laconi
Gabriel
1992 Rangge Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The "general" problem people are having is your negative attitude towards them, after they have taken time out of their day to help you. If that is how you treated people in real life you would get punched in the face a lot.
I didn't mean to come across as a negative character. I am not a mechanic, and even thou i enjoy eventually working on a vehicle, working on this RRC is not pleasant at all. It seems like every day im doing something to keep it on the road without even driving it...Im at the end of my rope with it and seriously considering getting rid of it. It has become a money pit deeper than i can afford and i get no enjoyment out of it... Its no excuse, but i do feel frustrated.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 04:44 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ha, i remember feeling that way. While I had good times and made many memories in my RRC (I was in college), it was the most phenomenally unreliable vehicle I've ever come across in my life. My race car takes less work to keep in track shape than the RRC took to be in "get to town shape."

Still think they are great looking trucks but I would never ever own another one again. Then again, it's the single reason why I learned to wrench on cars, which turned into bikes, which turned into I like wrenching on cars and bikes with my friends.. So maybe I should be thankful???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
differential