Differential and Low - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Tommy Moore
94 Yellow ST
Differential and Low

Just got around to running truck around for first time yesterday, it's got 200k plus miles and's in great shape, that's good and bad (meaning since it's never been wheeled previous owners let the differential freeze).

Need your advice:

It's good-to-go in 4H.

I can slide it to left from 4H and console light pops on, though I can't feel much of a difference in power.

From 4h or 4H Locked I can slide it up toward N and then 4L (or 4L locked). While it lights up in the 4L position, and I can hear a clunk, it's really in neutral (ie no power). This also produced some smoke, which came up via cubby.

Assume I need to pop cubby off and oil up linkage, but should console light come (as if it's in 4L or locked) when it's really in neutral? Or will only time tell, ie oil it up and try playing with it some more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions