Different tire types front/rear and tread question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Different tire types front/rear and tread question

Hey Folks,
I was looking through a downloaded copy of a 110 owners manual and it states that you should have uniform types of tires on the truck. Of course I agree with the sense behind this, but I am stuck with the tires I have for a little while because I am still poor from acquiring my truck. I could understand the potential problems that blatantly different tires would give the diffs. I have two of one type on the front, and two of a different type on the rear. They are all 7.5 x 16 but the tread is different. Please advise.

Also - as you can see, my tires are older than shit. The rear have a lot of cuts on them, the front are in good condition but cracked to hell. Am I an idiot for driving on these? I asked a buddy the same thing and he said "he wouldn't let his daughter drive em'". I have some others (also mismatched) in 235/85r16 in great condition, but they are no-name all terrains that will probably leave me stuck on the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	57186   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	57187  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	57188   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	57189  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	57190  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
um...4 mismatched 235/85R16 street tires is 10x safer than driving on those things.

also would not recommend driving on trails if you can't afford new tires.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
x100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The best you can have with those tires is a little slow leak the worst is a failure at speed. If you have ever had a blow out on a front tire at speed you will not forget it. Yes it is not good to miss match tires on a 4wd or AWD truck but shouldn't hurt too bad if you have to do it for a little while, but I wouldn't run that way for long if you can help it.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was thinking "oh they're probably not that bad" until I looked at the photos and then I crapped myself. Please put on the mismatched tires as soon as possible so I can sleep at night.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

IF tubed, and the tubes are in good condition, then you have a bit more leeway. However, if they do not have tubes or the tubes are in poor condition, then they are a danger. IMO.
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:22 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Are you driving or trailering to SAE next week?
I certainly wouldn't drive those on the interstate, if trailering come on. They would be good for around camp or the low speed FS roads connected to camp.
Dry rotted tires are really bad news.
See ya next weekend,
Mike
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Wow this is getting bad
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Wow this is getting bad
Sounds like I need to make plans to attend a funeral.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Check out some of the used tire places down off Victory Drive. I was out that way today and it looked like plenty of places had all terrain or mud terrain tyres at them
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Here is my dry rotted tire story

I myself did something stupid and didn't buy a new spare when I went wheeling with street tires. After I sliced a front right tire on the trail, I put on the totally dry-rotted old spare and pumped it up to 40psi. I traveled...maybe 30 miles or so (?) on that spare and had a blowout on the highway traveling at around 65mph.

I was paranoid about the blowout when it occurred so I managed to brake quickly but gently and get onto the shoulder. Control of the vehicle for the first 5 seconds after the blowout was not much different from normal operation, but with a slight pull to the right. The front right corner of the truck also dips considerably in height. Control after those 5 seconds was basically "keep steering further left to go straight", with more rotation on the steering wheel for every half a second after the first 5.

I'm assuming that after one runs out of steering lock, the truck will just steer by itself to the right suddenly and the result is potentially a rollover (at worst). I didn't want to test that theory.

After that, I bought a full set of bias ply super swampers and haven't really looked back.
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Here is a link to some great information about tire aging. They talk about how to read the date code on a tire too. Anything past 6 years old they say should not be used on the street.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks all for the honest advice. I suppose its worse that I know I'm wrong. I'm definitely in the wrong for knowing better and doing it anyway...

I'll be throwing the 235's back on and managing fine with them. One of these days I'll get some KM2s.

I have a terrible habit of starting hobbies in the most 'ghetto' way possible. When I first started riding motorcycles at 19 I started with a pieced together 74' Honda with bent handlebars, a vintage half-shell helmet and an old denim jacket. Someone I rode with finally made me throw down the cash for a nice Nolan helmet and eventually a good protective jacket. I guess I'm always more willing to assume risk at the sake of my own personal safety - probably not a good trait.

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Even though those tires are tough as nails I would be hesitant driving on them. You should be fine, but just be cautious when you drive. Picture 4 is a bit scary.

That being said I am running 7.50 Michelin XCLs that are older than me. They are radial and ride nicer than my BFG Muds.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire