different noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
95 d90
different noise

I have this very aggressive rattle and violent vibration in the drive train at low RPMs in first and second gear, and again while slowing down at aquivalent speeds. Inland Rovers is thinking the rear differential, but I would think that if it were the rear differential it would be constant, as opposed to just at one speed. I can`t for the life of me figure out where it is comming from, but anyone got any ideas on what I should check? I was planning on dropping out the rear drive shaft and driving it to see if it still does it without the rear differential, but is there anything else I could easily test? Any ideas would be awesome

Old September 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
Does it do it in low range or with the t-box in neutral? 3rd or 4th gear? Reverse? pull the plugs, is there a lot of metal in any of the gear units? Has anything run out of oil? Does the noise change as the load changes? Run it on a wheel free hoist and listen to the gear units with a stethoscope. If it's that loud it won't be hard to track down.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions