different ignition options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

different ignition options

hey everyone, I'm in the process of reinstalling the dash that i ripped apart -when i thought my ignition had gone bad. It ended up being another relay related problem. So, I really don't want to reinstall the stock switch because it looks like it's on the way out as well. A new ignition costs 200, but I've never heard anything good about these things. I'm thinking about a push button starter with a key. Anyone else running any thing other than stock?
thanks
brian bertolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:10 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

is everybody using the stock key ignition??
brian bertolini
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think it would be too hard, but it would have the bling effect . I was just at the auto store and they had push start ignition stuff on the shelf. The button looked to be about the size of the key slot. I don't know if it had a key switch though, you could always use a switch and hide it inside your Tuffy box (chubby box) so that you can lock it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm with Mike, it would probably not be that difficult but the problem would come with the power take offs. The switch operates many different features that an aftermarket switch would not address. The switch itself can become loose and the key can wear down but it is a stout unit. I don't think that you need to replace it. just my .02

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:44 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

ya, I was worried about being a little ghetto looking. I figured I could have a key to operate everything but the start function- but I haven't found one like that. I'm sure I'll just put the stock unit back in tomorrow.
brian bertolini
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:02 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

is it the electrical contacts that are going or the lock-set? if it's the electrical switch, you can replace it at a fraction of the whole setup. about $30 as I remember.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions