Different engine temp question, I've searched - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Different engine temp question, I've searched

With my 2.25 my "normal" operating temp was around 3/4 of the way up the normal range of my Series III. Has anyone ever measured at what temp the "Red Zone" on the guage is it? I am now running a Daihatsu diesel with a higher temp thermostat so it appears I climb to high temps under load but since this motor runs a 82 or 88 degree celcius thermostat it is tough to tell vs. the 74 and 82 degree rover thermostat. I'm still using a rover sender and rover guage. Do the infrared non contact temperature readers give pretty close readings if I just point it at the water outlet or top of the radiator. I suspect the Diesel just runs hotter under load, during easy going driving it stays bellow where the 2.25 ran.
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

For gosh sake put a real tempurature gauge on the thing. Egauges.com has VDO gauges inexpensive with numbers to track temps. I believe its rather important.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

EGT too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
For gosh sake put a real tempurature gauge on the thing. Egauges.com has VDO gauges inexpensive with numbers to track temps. I believe its rather important.

JP
Sounds like a plan.

Follow-up Post:

Anyone sure of the thread size for a series sender?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
5/8-18 UNF

buy a bolt of that size to double check but I am 99% sure.

rgrds
dave in dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Sounds like a plan.

Follow-up Post:

Anyone sure of the thread size for a series sender?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Murhpy Swichgages are nice too, and they have a manually set switch that grounds - can be used to activate buzzer, light, or both. more expensive though.

Follow-up Post:

thats Murphy
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Confirmed it with a new sender, 5/8-18. The sender at Egauges is part #323-026. Also shot some temps with an IR reader. Half way up the series gauge driving around town the water outlet base is about 150 degrees, after a highway run 190 degrees, inlet pipe of radiator read 200. 200 would correspond with the beginning of the red on a series III gauge. I ordered the 250 degree VDO guage #310-105.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine