Differences in Surrey Tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48
Differences in Surrey Tops

I'm thinking about getting a surrey top for the summer, but I'm seeing some conflicting information. I thought (perhaps erroneously) that since it was just sitting on the top, not along the belt rails, that all surreys were pretty much the same. However there was a FS a couple months back for a "Tickford Surrey"

The top I see most of the time looks like it has a bunch of compression straps that hold it on to the cage. Is this the norm? What's the difference between the '94 surreys and the later ones? How does the Badger surrey fit, Josh?

Finally, does it channel water away from the inside of the truck if you get caught in a rainstorm?

My truck is a '94.

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
barry f
94 ST #395
All years will work on your truck. The 94 version is cool because it has cut outs where the alpine windows would be in your tickford. I think try are hard to find.

Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
I personally only had experience with the strapped ones like you mentioned - that tickford one looks like mainly/only snaps. The straps are especially nice to have for the rear-most C-pillar, because you can easily snap the top into the cage, and then tighten down to your desire, rather than (I'm assuming) trying to wrestle with a shrunken surrey top whose rear-most snaps do not want to stretch to those last snaps.

If you have a gutter kit, then Badger is basically your only option, although having the straps with snaps in the back gives you a little extra room to work with to help accomodate the extra length taken up by having to clear the gutter kit fins up top. Do not expect the velcrow wrap on the surrey to line up with your Alpine Bow though.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782
I have a Bestop surrey in perfect condition i am willing to part ways with if you are looking??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

surrey top