differences in Defender / disc front end ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

differences in Defender / disc front end ?

I'm wondering what or if there are any differences in the 1997 Defender and the the 1997 Discovery front ends?
So if I were to take the front axle and steering box off the disco would there be any issues fitting it to a Defender ? And if they are exactly the same what other year discos would be the same ?
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The only difference on the axle is the smaller calipers on the Disco front end and the rotors of course. NAS 90's had vented rotors during that time ROW trucks did not.
The only difference between the steering is the Defender Pitman arm and drag link. The Deefer has the Damper mouted up front the Disco has no facilities for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:37 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Check to make sure wether the swivels are Chrome or Teflon (black). My 96 D1 has Chrome, my 97 D90 has Teflon and my 98 D1 has Teflon. So the Discos changed over some time in 97. Teflons are much better in my opinion (no pitting) but you can only use grease not oil in the swivels as there are no drain plugs on the Teflon version hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I thought the only difference was the coating on the swivel ball. That either would work with either housing.

When did D90's get ABS? that would be the other difference, though I can't think of any reason you couldn't use an ABS axle assembly on a non-ABS vehicle.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
97 NAS D90s have a rough road system. It's not ABS as it doesn't have any connection to the brakes but it has the speed sensors at the wheels so its an ABS axle.

Yes the Teflon is just a coating, but it seems to last much better than the chrome so might be something the OP wants to keep. Not sure without checking if the seals and stuff are different or not. Changeover happened sometime between 96 and 98 on the disco. Not sure when.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions