Diff Oil coming out the drive flanges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:02 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Diff Oil coming out the drive flanges

Did a long drive on the highway this weekend in some pretty hot weather. At the gas station, I noticed a little oil around both rear drive flanges. Kept driving and when I got home the entire rear driver rim was soaked in gear oil and the passenger was wet as well but not nearly as bad. I had replaced my axles with HD ones from GBR and resealed the flanges 800 miles ago so everything was fresh. It's not on the back side of the hub, so not coming out the hub seal. It's actually pushing out through the bolt holes in the flange and around the edges, through the silicone seal.

My thought here is it might be the axle breather since it started happening on both sides simultaneously but I've always thought the "blocked breather" thing was kinda BS so figured I'd post to get some advice. As I recall, there is also an internal seal on the back of the stub axle. Should I assume they are shot on both sides?
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:06 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I'd be checking my drive flange bolts and using red LocTite on them.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'd definitely check the breather for blockage. I can't think of a reason why the bolts would spuriously weep so furiously on your rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I'd be checking my drive flange bolts and using red LocTite on them.
I would not use red loc tite. I would use thread sealant for engine building. It is designed to keep oil from coming up the the thread of oil galley plugs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9904

I use this stuff on all the plugs and threads on my vehicles that need to hold oil, especially fill and drain pipe plugs

that or you have a bad inner hub seal
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:32 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Would a blocked breather really generate so much pressure to push oil through the inner hub seal, past the bearings and grease, through the RTV and out?

My other thought.. the GBR axles are thicker than stock. Could the thicker shaft diameter have ruined the inner seal somehow? If memory serves correctly, the stock shafts bulge around the seal and then taper so i didn't think to change the seals when I swapped axles
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
My other thought.. the GBR axles are thicker than stock. Could the thicker shaft diameter have ruined the inner seal somehow? If memory serves correctly, the stock shafts bulge around the seal and then taper so i didn't think to change the seals when I swapped axles
It's possible...but the only two places I can think of that would allow oil leaking from the stub seal to evacuate are:

a. The hub seal
b. The flange seal

If the leak is on the inside of the wheel, then it's quite possible that it's the hub seal. One mistake I made when installing my hub seals for the first time was not driving them into the hub as far as possible. This caused the lip of the seal to contact the stub and literally tear in half.

The flange seal seems unlikely to leak, at least not at the rate that you're describing.

Have you change the hub seal recently?
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:44 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Heat = pressure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
I would not use red loc tite. I would use thread sealant for engine building. It is designed to keep oil from coming up the the thread of oil galley plugs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9904

I use this stuff on all the plugs and threads on my vehicles that need to hold oil, especially fill and drain pipe plugs

that or you have a bad inner hub seal
Let me rephrase.
Check you drive flange bolts to see if they're loose. I use red LocTite to keep the bolts tight, not to keep them sealed. An inner axle seal won't cause leaks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions